Beet pulp

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NotTheMomma, Sep 18, 2009.

1. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this is wonderful for horses, but does anyone feed it to the chickens? The pellets need to be soaked for horses, but the shredded is ok to give dry. We use it to put condition or weight on the elderly horses here. All our horses LOVE it!

Also, anyone know if rabbits can have some?

2. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I make "soup" out of it in the winter for our horses and chickens [​IMG] I don't know if it's good for chickens or not, but it's a nice warm meal on a cold day!

I don't know about rabbits, but I'm fairly sure it's high in fiber so it should be okay.

3. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i just might try this on my pigs and see how it works

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I saw it at the feed store and was curious about it too.
    Not that my chickens need extra food, but I just wondered if they could have it.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Beet pulp is used mainly for more fiber in a Horses diet to bring a horses digestive system back to normal after colic are illness, pig's would be fine. I fail to see the usefullness in poultry maybe someone could shed some more light on this one.

AL

6. fadetopurple

fadetopurple Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    -

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I have 24 hens, 4 breeds. At a week or so, I started giving them garden waste along with their grower crumble. One of the things I gave them was beet stalks and leaves cut up real small. They loved everything I brought them, inclluding the beet sprouts/leaves. Other things were radish stalks/leaves, lettuce scraps, tomatoes that may have had spots, that I cut out. Also they got cucumber scraps, melon scraps, cantaloupe scraps and cabbage. They love it all. Apple peelings, carrot peelings, sweet potato peelings, bell pepper scraps and especially the seeds of the pepper plant. I used to whistle when I brought food. Now I can whistle when I approach the pen area and they stampede to the gate from wherever they are in the 2,000 sq ft pen.

They look at 14 weeks like they are big enough to begin laying any day, but I have no idea when they will start.

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Beets specifically for livestock feed, used to be commonly grown by farmers. I find that beets that are split are especially appreciated by my hens if they are nuked in a plastic bag just for a minute.

Beet pulp, as best I understand it, is mostly fiber and a byproduct of processing. Chickens do not benefit much from fiber.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by