1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beet Pulp

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TexasChickenDance, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TexasChickenDance

TexasChickenDance Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    We have a leftover bag of beet pulp with molasses that we had used to rehabilitate a horse. My husband threw a handful into the coop for the chickens and they absolutely loved it. Is this safe to give as a treat to chickens?

2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Hmmm I wonder if it is......use to give Beet Pulp to my Oldenburg [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm assuming beet pulp is beets???? Should be fine. Molasses can have a laxative effect on chickens, so I'd be cautious with it. But it should be OK in small amounts.

Imp

4. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    You'll have bright pink poo! [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Beet pulp is the byproduct left over from the processing of sugar beets. (sorry no pink poop, sugar beats are off white not purple) [​IMG]
    If you do feed it to chickens I would recommend soaking overnight in water because beat pulp will swell up as it soaks up liquids.
    I give it to my dairy goats that are in milk it is high in energy but that is about it...

Chris

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by