Before and after

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Barred Rocker, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    When I built my first coop I didn't give a lot of thought to predators. Ater losing 5 hens and 3 roosters to raccoons I decided it was time for some reinforcment.

This is the coop as it was originally built.
    [​IMG]

Now with heavier gauge wire and totally enclosed the coons can do nothing more than stand outside looking in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little bit of extra time and money will go a long way to protect your flock. I learned that the hard way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Beautiful! As long as all your birds rest and sleep inside the coop. If one of them were to get too close to the wire, a coon will put it's evil little hand through the wire, wiggle it's evil little fingers to entice the chickens, then snatch them and eat their heads. I love your set up![​IMG]

Also, what do you do with the window opening at the top of the coop? Close and lock at night? If not, the coons will get your chooks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  3. Barred Rocker

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    Quote:My chickies may not be Einsteins but they know enough not to get within reach of a predator. The window is wired as well and the roost is plenty far enough away that unless the coon had 4 foot tentacles, he aint gettin anything. I've had this set up since last spring and haven't lost any birds yet.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Nice work! Who is that chicken on the outside? [​IMG]

5. ericz

ericz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    media pa
    when i move back to the motherland (central VA) i am going to have you build me a coop [​IMG]

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Nice. [​IMG]

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Not to be pointed, but do be so sure you chickens are as smart as you think. If spooked in the run and they feel they have nowhere to hide, they will go to a corner and pack in. Guess what, some are going to be against the wire. That ain't being smart, that's just what they do. Pack hunter do things like that.

What you've done looks good. Nice job. On the run wire, did you go down of out with the wire?

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Looks great!! [​IMG] And better yet - it's looks SO much safer!
    Where'd you get the square welded wire?? I can only fine the 2x4 and the 1x3 stuff in my area... [​IMG]

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Very very nice!

10. Barred Rocker

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    Quote:You are absolutely right. I guess the point I was trying to make is if they do see something like that they're not going to go to the edge of the coop to say Hi. The only predator I usually have a problem with in daylight are hawks. The cover prevents those attacks. At night it's mostly coons and the chicks are inside on the roost by that time. I've notice, at least with mine, that if they feel that threated they usually head inside the coop. Anyway suffice it say the current pen is infinitely better protected than the way it was originally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by