Northen Va
Oh my goodness, what a day I have had..

My peacock and peahen that I was getting today..well, it didn't go so well

My friend went to meet and do the exchange vehicle to vehicle exchange

And....
And....
And.......
And.............

During the exchange from what I was told, the hen was being exchanged into a crate..and the I guess..somehow, I don't know everything.. but the peacock..flew out of the crate..and flew and flew and flew..GONE

So sad... Iam so sad.. So I hear the peacock will find a farm and live with a chicken farm around somewhere there...

So no peacock today

But I did get the peahen, she is sooo sooooo pretty, I was informed she is actually a white eyed pied ib

....When she arrived she was let out in a small run attached to a coop.. Paced, paced..paced.. After a 6 hours I finally saw her lay down, then this evening..

I was like..okay what do I do now, I don't want to leave her in the run..no way no how..she needs to be locked up safely in the coop

Okay now to catch her..got her finally and swooped her into the coop, man that was tuff, she must have dropped a million feathers, is that normal?

Should I leave her in the coop for so many days before I let her back into the little run? The little run is inside a bigger run

Should she learn her coop first?

What should I do?

They don't have to have shelter to perch. You can just put a perch up in the run. Since she is brand new it isn't a good idea to catch her a bunch. She is already a bit stressed (the pacing) and catching her isn't going to help much because you could end up injuring your first peahen. Normally they won't lose a lot of feathers if you catch them right and do it quickly, but if you don't get it right then they lose a ton or something like that. When we went to go get my pied peahen we brought our own peafowl net, well turns out the boy was better at catching them by hand and with the net he was horrible. He made her lose a lot of feathers trying to use the net on her, but catching her with his hands was better. For us we catch the peafowl with the net and they don't even lose a feather but they do growl in protest. Is the coop attached to the run? It would be better to herd her into the coop instead of catching her. It sort of adds to her distrust of you since she doesn't even know you and so far she knows that you are the person who caught her and made her lose a lot of feathers. I don't really know if she HAS to stay in the coop. I think she should be fine in the run and will probably like it better.
wink.png

Quote:
well, If I dont keep her in the coop... then that would mean I have to catch her again- to put her in the coop in the evening.. or just leave her outside all night.. which cant be good either

so what do I do then??

thank you

I can assure you they are fine outside overnight. THese birds can withstand very cold temps. Don't try to catch her by the feathers, they will lose a lot of them and stress them. Let the peahen decide where she wants to be and it will acclimate her easier. Read Peafowl 101 sticky to gain additional info on peafowl and husbandry and check out older posts here, they will answer a lot. Good luck with her.

Don't worry. Peafowl are unlike chickens. They are bigger so you don't have to worry so much about predators getting them. I keep mine in the pen all the time and they roost out in the pen not in their shelter. They just prefer it that way and they are safe too. I know of a lady who sells us peafowl who told me that hers scared a hawk away that was attacking one of her chickens and her peafowl also chased off a lose pit bull that visited her yard. She said they flew at the dog and chased it down the street and that the dog was yelping in fear. Peafowl are tougher than they look.

Thanks everyone.. so I can let her out.. in the main pen.. I hope she doesnt bust up over the netting.. thats my fear.. man she is feisty

and or should I just let her stay in the small 4x4 run.. first.. thats what worries me.. well.. not really, cause then a predator would have to get into the main pen, and then into the small run.. but that door isnt very good.. on the small run..mmmnnnnnnnn..
what to do.. what to do..

I am so stressed..

xoxo

Carol!!!! I just bought my first pea pair and lost both of them the first time I let them free range. ... Well, the one turned up the next day running down the road and a neighbor called me. I thought for sure the hen was gone but, 4 days later a farmer down the road came up the drive and said a peacock was roosting on his back porch at night. So, after some time we got them. Now, I've been hearing about different folks that have spotted them along the way. I think a good idea would be to post on craigslist in the area you lost the peacock and maybe post flyers if you're close enough. Did you get them from Peachick? They will not go unnoticed and, if there's a number to call, you may just hear something.

So sorry about your day but, on a good note, be glad it was the cock and not the hen. She's about twice the price
wink.png

Don't be so stressed out. She will be fine. If I were you and had a small run inside another run I wouldn't worry at all about the safety of a peahen in the smaller run. In fact I don't worry about the safety of any of my 5 peafowl in a pen that is not enclosed by another run. Just calm down and don't stress so much over this instead be happy that you have your first peahen. Leave stress to God.
wink.png

Thanks my dear peafowl friends

So glad I have u ..I just took a deep sigh..

I kept envisioning a raccoon cornering her in the run..and ..errrr..don't want to think about it

Oh and peachick is going to give me another one...thank goodness.... So I will have a peacock sometime next week

Jumping up and down

Xoxooxxo

Back
Top Bottom