Before I kill him?

My vet told me that while it might be hairball, that a lot of cats throw up because their kidneys are damaged. They get an infection, sometimes in the gum or teeth, and the infection gets in the body and injures their kidneys. So there's another possibility. Our cat got a bad infection and sure enough her kidneys were really badly damaged. She did survive a long time. You can ask the vet about a 'kidney diet' food that is easier to digest.

Oh my! I wish you had not told me that. A few years ago my DD was giving Merlin his meds for something or other, I dont' remember. The thing is she picked up the bottle in the dark from our dining table and gave him one of mine. I don't recall what it was. Well she had to pay to take him to the emergency hospital and while he survived perhaps it's his kidneys.

Oh no, I have no idea what to do if it's serious. I can't afford testing.

I can't understand why he would throw up his food as though it hadn't chewed or why he would throw up at the dish while eating.

He is shedding something fierce so perhaps it is hair balls. Well I guess I can only hope.

Thanks

Rancher

When my mother switched to ALL canned cat food her cats stopped puking right away... The vet told her to do it.
I think i'm going to try it....

My cat is the same way! WE have tried hairball meds, switching to all canned/wet food, she has a pot of catnip and grass, We even started to feed her and her adopted sister in different dishes far apart thinking maybe she was scarffing it down to beat her sister! Nothing has helped so far! she doesn't do it as often as before all of the switching but she still does it bout 1-2 a month. She has been this way for 6 years! She is healthy and chunky not fat. We put her on a diet a while back. she was getting to be a real fatty! We have just learned to deal with it. It's not fun but its part of having an animal in your house!

Good Luck and God Bless!

My cats have been puking a lot lately too - it's the shedding. Is your cat long-haired or short haired? I have 4 short haired and 1 medium haired. The medium haired is puking the most. Does your cat puke up hairballs or always just food?

This time of year I bring in grass from outside for them and they love it. I give them short grass, if they eat grass that's too long/stemmy it can cause a blockage too. It does make them throw up but if you give them the grass somewhere that has linoleum it can help minimize the clean up (I even got one sort of trained to puke on a magazine or piece of cardboard - from sticking one under her when she started heaving, lol). I am not sure why they love the grass so much, I think it helps the hair pass through - one end or the other.

One of my cats will puke right after eating if she has hair in her stomach. She is a glutton and scarfs her food faster than the other cats.

I used to get mad at them puking on stuff . . . and then I had a baby - who puked on everything (she had reflux)
lol.png
So I guess I'm resigned to living with puke. One of these days I'm going to tear up the carpet and put down tile.
gig.gif

Sorry it's getting to you. I know it can be aggravating. I hope you can get it resolved and that it's nothing more serious than hairballs.

melissa

I have the same problem with one of my cats. Is yours losing weight or other than the throwing up does he appear healthy? Luckily I have wood floors throughout my house so it's easy to clean up. I know I'm not offering much help but any chance of confining him to a bathroom (easy cleanup) after he eats? Which will only be helpful if he throws up right after eating.

I hate to see you put him down if he's otherwise healthy and happy. I would also, like someone else suggested, let him out for short periods to eat grass which is a natural stomach soother for cats and dogs.

Good Luck!!

My moms cat does throw up food and gets really sick if it does not get its frontline monthly. The cat has severe skin allergies to fleas and won't eat and throws up all the time. It gets worms from eating fleas too so if your cats or anyone elses keeps getting fleas and/or worms....I would worm them too.

It sounds like you don't have the resources, or time, to take care of him, why not give him to a local Rescue Organization, they would take care of his health problems and you could not have to worry about it anymore.

The Lisser I think you'd get really bothered if the baby was still throwing up on your carpet ten years later. LOL

Merlin is semi long hair and leaves hair all over the place these days. I'm unemployed and don't nor would I spend hundreds to treat him. It can't be much of a life for him either. He doesn't look like he's losing weight in fact he's pretty heavy. So I think the only things worse for wear are the carpet and my patience. No one else in this house is going to clean up his puke.

I will try previous suggested remedies and see what happens. I don't want to put him outside, though he will have a room with a small oil filled heater and he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to go out. He used to bolt for the door but this past year he's perfectly content to be inside.

Thanks every one. I'll give him a reprieve for now, but I'm not making any promises.

Rancher

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom