Before it gets worse - Medical Advice Needed.. Marek's, cocci or ???

Quote:
Thanks Beth, I hope you are right..... Boy is she eating good, she is top hen and obviously hasn't lost her rank.... I am seeing her sitting in the corner again. I'll go check again...

Last edited:
Quote:
I think she has the urge to lay, too - just that's my first thought. The normal droppings - that's good. It may be that she's not egg bound, but is working on laying. Maybe even she had an egg in there that is shell less and hasn't passed. But I think she'd be acting a lot more poor if that were the case.

This sounds like the pretty typical behavior that new hens have if they're not the ones that just start perfectly. It's good that you mixed the oyster shell in with the feed. Did she actually eat it? Is it a crumble, or is there any powdery bits in there? The vitamins will help her immune system while she's obviously stressed, and the D vitamin (particularly if you use an oil based, not water vitamins) will help if there are calcium issues for the first egg.

What my first suspicion is, again, is that she's gearing up to lay an egg. I had a hen do this for two weeks. Then she finally popped it out. I"ve had that happen in about 1 fifth of my birds, even though their first eggs are perfect in this case. It's a stressful and very hormonal time for them.

That being said, I don't want to just assume - so again please do check her for parasites. They're quite like other lice - some are almond shaped, that same size, and wheat colored. Others are grey and thinner, about as long as this letter: i or sometimes l . They may have a red bottom from sucking blood. Mites are trickier - they can be the size of this typewritten period: . Or smaller. They also tend to only really move at night unless they're very young. So that's why you have to kind of check at night as they get on the birds on the roosts. Take a flashlight - turn the light on of course, but a flashlight gives you stronger light so you can see better in the shadowy areas among the feathers. Maybe have someone help you so you can concentrate on spotting them.

Ataxia (staggering gate) is a sign of weakness. That can be from anemia (which is why we want to rule out thinness and parasites), or upcoming disease, or from laying issues, stress, etc. That's why we're looking at these issues.

On the warm bath - I kept almost typing that, but I don't think we're at that point yet**. What shape was the vent opening again, the actual anus? Is it bigger and more like _ or more like a period . ?

Weird thing to ask, but it will tell us a lot.

** That being said, it's a thought. But I think I'd palpate her inside first.

Last edited:
The vent looked like it was almost like moving or contracting so it took both shapes, if that makes sense.

The oyster shells are crumbles and I have them mixed in, but I can't say for sure that she hasn't been picking around them, so tomorrow when I give them more yogurt I will be sure to take if from the mixed crumble with the oyster shell. (They are separate and we combine)

Can she die from being egg bound?

I really noticed today for the first time that she was going to areas like in the coop or in the corner of the yard (almost like for privacy). And she did this more today then I had noticed before.

My concern is that while I am focused on the egg laying I hope that it is not a disease.

My other concern is the "eggs" from the other hens. Is it safe to eat them if I don't know exactly what is going on?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it. I hope to be as much a help one day... I am pretty good with dogs, fish and rabbits.... lol

Quote:
Upon my inspection tonight I don't see anything like lice or mites. But I noticed she had some wet poop on her bottom. I wiped it off with a baby wipe the best I could, as I don't want her to be wet through the night. Would they poop out alot from straining?

They will do that from having an infection from holding eggs, from having kidney involvement from another issue. You can use a little baby powder around her vent to dry the area. They'll get sores from that wetness and it attracts maggots, a whole other problem you definitely do not want to experience.
tongue.png

You know honestly, if you can get Corid rather than Sulmet I"d try a coccidiosis treatment although honestly at that age I highly doubt it's coccidiosis. However, Corid has no antibiotic action - which is why I'd try that.

If she at all gets lethargic and has more of the wet drainage, I'd consider a round of penicillin.

Were you able to palpate for an egg? By the way, what's the state of her combs/wattles? Are they all completely full, very red? I still need the vent shape, please. I'm trying to help but it's a bit like shooting in the dark if there are some bits of information I don't have.

On the oyster shell, continue to mix the oyster shell with her feed daily - the finest bits so she has to eat them to eat the feed. And the yogurt - a good idea. I'd also give her ACV in the water at a rate of 4 tablespoons per gallon for a day, then 2T /gal for a week.

And yes, eggbound hens can die - which is why palpating her would be a good idea.

It (the vent) seemed like it moved from a _ to 0 like it was contracting. I think I will try the warm bath and keep her in the house over night. This way I can clean up her bottom too.

They are red but not as dark as a different chicken. But they are all the same age (give or take a day or so) and she is the only one not laying. The other is also a cochin type and she just laid for the first time. I can try to post a pic?

She seems to be better and not worse. I have taken her in, warm bath (cleaned that poop off her butt) and kept her inside in a crate overnight. However, I have returned her to the flock as per advice from a local chicken farm, especially since we have had some warmer temps (60's and 70's). She is still showing a bit of tipping in the back and has not showed anymore signs of laying in the nesting area. Poops look good, she was even running around while flaping her wings today (for no apparent reason). I hope she continues to improve. I will keep you updated... Hadn't had a chance to post a picture yet. I will try to do that.

Thanks again to all...

~ Tara

Back
Top Bottom