Began our coop build

msmeg26

Chirping
Feb 1, 2019
Savannah GA
This is the begin of coop for 2019. I will make edits to this post as we continue forward.

Coop background: We are located in Savannah GA, this will be our first time having chickens. I have wanted them for over 15 years since I went to a ceramic studio on a farm in Michigan and was amazed by them.

Build team: Myself, my 4yr old, and my 2 yr old.. perhaps my SO if I am in need of additional muscle.

Timeline: Coop prep began Feb 3rd 2019. Chicks due to arrive week of 3/25

Coop considerations: Low maintenance, ventilation, predator proof. Self sustaining.

Budget: TBD. Coop is being constructed from mostly free salvaged materials.

Size: 6x6 coop with overall attached run coming in at 6x15. Nesting boxes to be exterior mounted.

How many hens: We are within city limits so we have to go by city ordinance. Currently it is 1 chicken per 1000sq ft of "high ground" lot. Our lot is approximately 6510sq ft. ***note this is lot size not yard size** lot measures 62ft x 105. We are not in a flood zone so I am considering that into our calculation. We have 8 chicks on order in case a couple dont make it.

Where we are getting chicks: We have ordered from My Pet Chicken (MPC)

Breeds: Each chicken is different, they include Buff Orphington, Jersey Giant, Easter Egger, Austra White, Welsummer Black/white Polish, Olive Egger and some mixed breed "blue layers".

Coop design: Coop is being modeled off the Witchita coop for the run portion. Coop itself will be more A frame in nature with its roof tying into the sloped back roof of the run. Eventually we are building a privacy fence vs our current standard chainlink one. Taking that into consideration, we will be placing coop at least 2ft from back fence to allow walkability all around coop. Current location has a 4ft Mulberry tree trunk that needs removed and is embedded into some of the fence. (We can thank the local power company for mutilating it...) will upload coop design Sketchup model when completed in 3d.

Cooop/run Goals:
-Allow for 8 hens to live comfortably while providing access to free reigning and yard foraging.
- Be attractive to not only us but nearby neighbors who are located on the east and west of us and will see coop from their backyards as well.
- Be low maintenance and sustainable

Objectives: include auto coop door, must be solar or battery powered, self waterer with rain barrel capture system and ceramic or biofilter to filter barrel water. Self feeder system. Deep litter method.

Feb 3rd- we began prepping some old window screens that we got for free. This will be rescreened with hardware cloth and make up the run. Once we scraped paint, we primed via spray paint laying around. Final color is still TBD and considering sparr varnish as we are in a super hot and humid environment.

20190203_132911.jpg
coop.png

Last edited:
ceramic studio on a farm in Michigan
Curious where this was/is?

Coop itself will be more A frame in nature with its roof tying into the sloped back roof of the run.
Beware that Aframe's can be hard to weather proof, both rain and shade....as well as including protected ventilation.

Curious where this was/is?

Beware that Aframe's can be hard to weather proof, both rain and shade....as well as including protected ventilation.

http://www.khnemustudio.com/ on Fernwood Farm. Fennville MI
Will be doing shingle construction for roof, ridge went, each of the 4 sides of coop will have ventilation as well. Posting plan idea shortly!

http://www.khnemustudio.com/ on Fernwood Farm. Fennville MI
Ha that was the first place that came to my mind, great place!

Editted post to include basic sketchup model of idea.
Ah, good, that's not an Aframe but a gable roof.
Nice Model! Sketchup?

Leave those eaves open, covered with hardware cloth(see pic),
and consider adding fly rafters for coverage on gable ends.
There's nothing better for shade and protected ventilation than large roof overhangs
and top hinged windows.

coop-eaves-2-jpg.1353557

Ha that was the first place that came to my mind, great place!

Ah, good, that's not an Aframe but a gable roof.
Nice Model! Sketchup?

Leave those eaves open, covered with hardware cloth(see pic),
and consider adding fly rafters for coverage on gable ends.
There's nothing better for shade and protected ventilation than large roof overhangs
and top hinged windows.

coop-eaves-2-jpg.1353557

I havent seen Dawn since 2005 prior to the studio going solar! Visited when I lived in Chicago. Fell in love with her rescue chicken "Chub chub".

Model is sketchup still work in progress. Materials 85% salvaged/free right now. Im actually rebuilding model to account for material cuts and "scraps". Not too sure how ill frame around those window screens I aquired.

Fly rafters, ill have to look those up!!

Back
Top Bottom