Beginner Breed

Deb T

Songster
Dec 5, 2016
Whitesboro Tx
My Coop
My Coop
This is my 2nd year owning chickens. I have learned a lot. I am thinking about getting a turkey next year and need to research breed and how to care for them. Any suggestions on a starter breed that would be docile and easy to care for?

Turkeys aren't necessarily classified into breeds like chickens are. There are basically 3 varieties; broad breasted, heritage, and midget.

Heritage can fly a bit, and can reproduce and live longer. They are slower growing and top out at about 25-30 pounds for toms, 12-14 for hens. They come in different varieties or breed colors.

Broad breasted are meat birds who grow quickly and die young. They can reach up to 50 pounds. They are what are used by large producers. They come in white and bronze.

The third is midget white which is a smaller bird, adults are about 13 pounds. They are said to be more gentle and to lay more eggs.

You need to first decide the purpose for your turkeys, and than find a source for them. Both can dictate what type you will get.

Are Turkey eggs good? I was told people really like to eat them. Is there a backyard market for them. Do the midget also make good meat birds?

I read they are good for baking because they are firmer than chicken eggs, it's the same I read about duck eggs. A market for them is a local thing, so I can't say. Many people can't handle chicken eggs that aren't from the store, so you may have troubles finding a steady market for them.

Both heritage and midget are used for meat. They just aren't as big of carcasses or as soft as store bought. They also don't have the large breast that is found in the broad breasted.

Turkeys are very personable, so it can be hard for some people to butcher such a friendly bird. I haven't had midget whites but I have been told they are nice. They can sometimes be harder to find a source for.

They all end up about the same. Just depends if you want them to butcher in the fall, and you want big carcasses, broad breasted, or if you want them year round, and would like to breed, all the heritage varieties. I like bourbon reds and blue slates, and blacks, because I just like those particular colors.

There's no one choice. They all get raised the same.

Back
Top Bottom