Beginner: Button Quail

bantambury

life does go on.
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
North Carolina
Im really interested in hatching buttons for my birthday. I want a small number so I was thinking a trio. I read you should only get in pairs....How come? are male buttons like roosters and attack eachother? can I keep two males together with 2 hens?

I know a bit about them through research ive done, but I couldn't find the height of a pen to keep them in. what would you recommend for the amount of space for one bird so I know how big to make the pen? I want it for in my room so it has to be somewhat small, not the size of a huge chicken coop. haha

any other information you think would be helpful for me to know as well? pros or cons? anything will be great :)

~Bantambury

Im really interested in hatching buttons for my birthday. I want a small number so I was thinking a trio. I read you should only get in pairs....How come? are male buttons like roosters and attack eachother? can I keep two males together with 2 hens?

You should keep them in pairs because they are monogamous by instinct. They will choose one mate and keep it for life. Quail are very territorial and buttons can't share small enclosures. In a large aviary with a lot of cover you might...MIGHT...get a couple pairs to get on ok. In the wild they stay well away from each other. Improper keeping practices are doing a dis service to the species, as time goes on they will lose more and more of their wild characteristics if it continues. As it is finding one that will actually hatch eggs is getting harder and harder by the year.

I know a bit about them through research ive done, but I couldn't find the height of a pen to keep them in. what would you recommend for the amount of space for one bird so I know how big to make the pen? I want it for in my room so it has to be somewhat small, not the size of a huge chicken coop. haha

Keep ceilings less than 14 inches or more than 3 ft if possible. if not put a piece of window screen a few inches short of the ceiling as sort of a barrier

any other information you think would be helpful for me to know as well? pros or cons? anything will be great :)

They aren't really pets. They will never like being handled and they will probably always pace back and forth when you're near the cage. You'll pretty much just always be the food monster. If you work really hard they might one day take a treat from your hand but it probably isn't worth the effort.

Also get a butterfly net. You won't be able to catch them if they escape without it.

~Bantambury

Back
Top Bottom