Beginner chicken girl wondering about the best mixed flock.

jjart

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
I have a small suburban lot with close neighbors. I get along great with them and would like to keep it that way. But, I am DYING for some hens as pets/egg layers. Because of my space limitations I am planning to go with bantams but I would love to have a standard Ameraucana for some fun and colorful eggs. Can you mix 2 bantam silkies, 1 bantam cochin, and 1standard ameraucana? Realistically how loud can hens be? I'll take any other advice you'd like to offer.
smile.png

Last edited:
My hens are pretty quite except at laying time.(Most folks are at work/school when the hens are working) I have good luck mixing my flock but I have just laying breeds and some bantams. I have no experience with silkies but did have a bantam cochin in the flock one time. The most important thing is to raise all together.

Yes, that sounds like a good little flock. The Ameraucana are very laid back and mellow like the cochins too.

The hens have an egg song after they lay an egg. The good news is it is in the middle of the day. And it varies from hen to hen in loudness. And its good you don't have a rooster that joins in.

Some of mine never did the egg song. So just think positive.

Free eggs once in a while to the neighbors will help them think nice thoughts over the egg song. Of course, you might need another one or two full size Ameraucana to have enough eggs! Actually, in chicken math, bantams don't count, so you outlined a flock of one - making room for two more full size 'cana!
smile.png
Just kidding.

I don't find the egg song annoyiing like a roo's crow so maybe you're neighbors won't either.

Thank you for the advice. My only son is a freshman in college and I have always wanted to have farm animals. Chickens are actually a possibility where I live. I am a country girl who is married to a city boy, but with the new chicken ordinances I may get to have a little bit of country in my own yard. I'm very envious of all the animals that BYC posters have. I do have a very beloved 11 yr. old Golden Retriever, and a spoiled rotten 10 year old 3 lb. Yorkie, and hopefully will have 3-4 chickens this spring.

Welcome!

I recommend 4x as many as you think you want. Might as well start with that because otherwise chicken math will get you and you'll be starting all over with a new batch a few more times at least. I have several breeds, and they are all doing well together.

Back
Top Bottom