Beginner Coop Designs?

I drew up a preliminary design based off of the monitor roof (really just a copy of it but sized to suit my needs). I think it's overkill, or it looks overkill...
And you are right, lumber prices are dumb, I'll send out a ask for scrap lumber when I have the money in hand.

I crave your thoughts and ideas

PXL_20210414_231313493.jpg

I drew up a preliminary design based off of the monitor roof (really just a copy of it but sized to suit my needs). I think it's overkill, or it looks overkill...
And you are right, lumber prices are dumb, I'll send out a ask for scrap lumber when I have the money in hand.

View attachment 2616793
Can't make out all the dimensions on my phone, but love the details included in the drawing.

View attachment 2616793

I'm so happy that my coop inspired you!

Building big and sturdy isn't overkill, it's insurance against known potential problems. :)

Dayum, someone learned to draft 'on the table'!!

Only thing I see that I'd change is making the opening to the nest smaller(12") and thus the lip larger(7").
Oh, and....might also lower nest opening and roost, 34" is pretty high for such a small space.
Roost only needs to be ~12" above bottom of nest to deter roosting in nest.

On having looked at the plans on the larger monitor on the desktop, I think you need to extend the roof overhangs more to keep blowing rain from getting into the monitor.

The overhangs on mine in proportion to the height protected against Hurricane Florence -- with the coop in the shelter of trees and bushes and the main wind direction blowing parallel to the monitor rather than at a right angle to it.

Your storms may vary. :)

Dayum, someone learned to draft 'on the table'!!

Only thing I see that I'd change is making the opening to the nest smaller(12") and thus the lip larger(7").
Oh, and....might also lower nest opening and roost, 34" is pretty high for such a small space.
Roost only needs to be ~12" above bottom of nest to deter roosting in nest.
Thanks! ...mechanical design class many years ago, it turned out to be a super helpful class for me later in life (woodworking, garden design, this type of stuff)

The top of the roost is 18" above the lip of nest, but you suggest it should be about 12" above the nest itself? if so, that'll be great it shrinks the whole mess down about a foot.

Thanks! ...mechanical design class many years ago, it turned out to be a super helpful class for me later in life (woodworking, garden design, this type of stuff)
Learned to... draft on the table, computers, and CADD almost simultaneously.
Spent 20 years making a living with the CADD.

The top of the roost is 18" above the lip of nest, but you suggest it should be about 12" above the nest itself? if so, that'll be great it shrinks the whole mess down about a foot.
Above the bottom of nest, they want to roost as high as possible.
It doesn't take much height to achieve that.
The lower the roost in a smaller space the better, they need landing space to fly up and down.

Learned to... draft on the table, computers, and CADD almost simultaneously.
Spent 20 years making a living with the CADD.

Above the bottom of nest, they want to roost as high as possible.
It doesn't take much height to achieve that.
The lower the roost in a smaller space the better, they need landing space to fly up and down.
can the nest boxes be a few inches above the shavings/floor or should they be higher than that?

Back
Top Bottom