Beginner Duck Mom Question.

awyman

Songster
Apr 5, 2019
West Virginia
I have a couple questions as far as duck egg laying goes.

The other day I found my first 3 duck eggs in a random spot in my duck enclosure. I collected them, and floated them because I wasn’t sure how long they had been there. They were perfectly fine. So I go back to the same spot the next day and no eggs. 2 days later I go to check for eggs and I found one but not in the same spot. So every couple days I’ll get an egg but never in the same spot. I put a golf ball in one spot of theirs to encourage them to lay there but it didn’t help. Then I made a nesting box and put it in the area, that didn’t help either. I’m pretty sure I only have one female laying, because I only find one egg when I search for them. So I want to know are ducks supposed to lay consistently? On an every day basis? Also will I always have to on an Easter Egg Hunt to find my eggs? Is there any other way I can encourage them to lay in one spot. Need advice. By the way they are kept in a 2 acre enclosure so it’s very hard to track down eggs. :barnie

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
Ducks are far more random where they lay their eggs than chickens, but far more consistently lay first thing in the morning. I usually have all my duck eggs for the day by the time I leave the house for work at 8:00am. They seem to like to lay in the corner of their house or coop the best, but often I just find eggs on the ground by the food or water buckets. I agree that if you confine your ducks until about 8:00 most of your eggs will be found in that area. Some breeds are better layers than others. Most of my ducks lay 6 out of 7 days a weeks but then don’t lay much at all over winter.

Maisiepup

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2019
Scottish Borders uk
I find my duck eggs all over the place.. from the coop to the water dishes I only worry when I dont find any for more than a few days then I know ones broody and have to hunt for a nest.. found one with 14 eggs in and I only have 2 mummas lol iv never figured out how to get them just to lay in one place though....

Top Bottom