Beginner in Hatching eggs.

Naoko Goto

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2017
I have two quail eggs given to me by some one who didn't know how to care for them, they're from a domesticated mother and father quail and are both shown fertile when candled. My family likes to keep the ac at 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit how long will the eggs last, I've always wanted to hatch egg and I got them at five but they were laid around after 5pm-5pm Saturday the 14th and it is 7pm on a the 15th.
I've researched that they'll last seven days in 50-60 degrees but I do not know about my family's "AC room temperature". I live in FL.
Please reply as soon as possible.
I am also new to this website.

Last edited:
Do you mean that the eggs are partially incubated or you got them straight from the bird? If straight from the bird you should be fine they should still last awhile(few days) in temps temps like that, but the quicker you get them in the incubator the better the chance they are to hatch. And also you can not tell whether an egg is fertile or not until a few days in the incubator.

How are you telling they are fertile when candling? Do you mean you see embryos in there and they have already started to develop? If so being out of an incubator is going to kill them and they're not going to hatch.

If they haven't started to develop yet, you have about a week to get them into an incubator before it starts to become likely that they won't develop and hatch.

Okay, thank you for the advice. I'm plan on purchasing an incubator tonight on amazon prime, so it'll come in hopefully in two days...

I think you can tell by candling because I have researched that chicken eggs will appear darker in the light if not fertile. Although I am not sure if that can be reliable. The eggs are coturnix quails.

I think you can tell by candling because I have researched that chicken eggs will appear darker in the light if not fertile. Although I am not sure if that can be reliable. The eggs are coturnix quails.

This is not true. As someone who breeds and hatches a lot of chickens I can tell you the only way to know if they're fertile is to incubate them or crack them open and look for a blastoderm. You cannot tell by candling.

Completely agree with Pyxis incubation and cracking the egg are the only definite way to tell if an egg is fertile or not.

The eggs should last if you have them in within the week the sooner the better though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom