Beginner quail owner. Needing some help, if you would be so kind:).

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
I do have chicken ( 30 ) and 2 ducks, so I do know how to look after poultry.

I don't have the quails yet but do have some Q's about them first.

What is a good breed of quail for a beginner that is planning on having 3 girls and one 1 male and selling the fertile egg to cover the cost of feed, bedding etc?
Also what is the best flooring for there pen and best bedding for them. Will they need a little sleeping hutch thing. Like perhaps small cardboard boxes?
Do they need nesting boxes?
I have been told that Japanese Quails are the best for beginners but what about King Quails?

Just a nice picture
smile.png
. It's a Male King Quail ( Asian Blue ).

I do have chicken ( 30 ) and 2 ducks, so I do know how to look after poultry.

I don't have the quails yet but do have some Q's about them first.

What is a good breed of quail for a beginner that is planning on having 3 girls and one 1 male and selling the fertile egg to cover the cost of feed, bedding etc?
Also what is the best flooring for there pen and best bedding for them. Will they need a little sleeping hutch thing. Like perhaps small cardboard boxes?
Do they need nesting boxes?
I have been told that Japanese Quails are the best for beginners but what about King Quails?

Just a nice picture
smile.png
. It's a Male King Quail ( Asian Blue ).
I think you would be fine starting with this variety of quail as a beginner. They sure are pretty aren't they?

As for selling the eggs to cover the costs, you will need a lot more quail than 3 females and a male to cover feed, bedding, etc...Things are not cheap anymore, especially feed. If you are going to be selling these hatching eggs on the market, make sure you are starting with disease free, genetically healthy birds to customers as you don't want to pass down bad genetics to the offspring.

You can keep them in pens on wire or a solid floor. You can even keep them in an aviary with a litter floor. Grass hay works well as they can use it for nesting materials. Pine shavings will also work well, or plain wire for a floor. If you go with wire, always provide a place to get off the wire to rest their feet occasionally. Their dusting pan for bathing works well to rest their feet.

Some quail will just lay their eggs where ever they please, and some like to have a little hidey place. You can use over turned flower pots with a mouse hole cut into the side so they can hide in there. Put some grass hay inside and they will build a nest. Quail rarely if ever go broody, but they like to pretend for short periods of time. They also enjoy cut branches from a tree propped up in the corner with the leaves hanging over them and down to the floor. Gives them a sense of protection and security, while provides a natural environment.

If you live in a bad weather climate, they will need some sort of shelter if it is not built into their pen. During cold nights, they will want to seek a place that has no wind, rain or snow.

Enjoy these gorgeous birds!

Last edited:
I think you would be fine starting with this variety of quail as a beginner. They sure are pretty aren't they?

As for selling the eggs to cover the costs, you will need a lot more quail than 3 females and a male to cover feed, bedding, etc...Things are not cheap anymore, especially feed. If you are going to be selling these hatching eggs on the market, make sure you are starting with disease free, genetically healthy birds to customers as you don't want to pass down bad genetics to the offspring.

You can keep them in pens on wire or a solid floor. You can even keep them in an aviary with a litter floor. Grass hay works well as they can use it for nesting materials. Pine shavings will also work well, or plain wire for a floor. If you go with wire, always provide a place to get off the wire to rest their feet occasionally. Their dusting pan for bathing works well to rest their feet.

Some quail will just lay their eggs where ever they please, and some like to have a little hidey place. You can use over turned flower pots with a mouse hole cut into the side so they can hide in there. Put some grass hay inside and they will build a nest. Quail rarely if ever go broody, but they like to pretend for short periods of time. They also enjoy cut branches from a tree propped up in the corner with the leaves hanging over them and down to the floor. Gives them a sense of protection and security, while provides a natural environment.

If you live in a bad weather climate, they will need some sort of shelter if it is not built into their pen. During cold nights, they will want to seek a place that has no wind, rain or snow.

Enjoy these gorgeous birds!

Wonderful. Thanks so much.

I have found a wonderful place to put them.

At the moment it has a rock floor. Will this be suitable. I will get some pictures and see what you think.

Yes they are very pretty. Can't wait to get some. What breeds do you have?

A rock floor might, over time, give them bumble foot. Foot pads are pretty soft and the hard floor could bruise the pads. You might want to put down bedding to not only absorb the poop and smells, but soften the floor.

Right now I am only keeping Butler Bobwhites, however I have also kept Tennessee Red Bobs and Coturnix quail in the past.

I have never kept these birds before however I believe these birds are kept in pairs only. So if you want to keep more than one pair, you will need to partition off their area. They also thrive in warm climates. Many people keep these quail indoors. (I am retracting my statement about keeping them outside.) "GrandmaBird" is the queen of Button quail and can tell you a ton more about how to keep these birds than I can. :)

Last edited:
Hi thanks. I can just remove some of the stone, no prob and will put some grass down.

I have ruled out buttons. They seem great and were our first choice. But not any more.

I think we are choosing from Kings and Japanese Quails.

Back
Top Bottom