Beginner Questions - Coturnix Quail

QuailTail

Songster
Aug 21, 2021
NSW Mid North Coast, Australia
Hi everyone!

I'm new to both BYC and raising quail - I don't have my quail yet as a regional covid lockdown means I can't travel to collect them, but I'm hoping to be able to move around again in a week or so.

I have done lots of research but have a few questions that google hasn't been able to answer for me and I was hoping I might find some help from this amazing community.

For context, I plan to have 8 hens only, no roo, on a deep litter floor. The coop I'm building for them will be 2400x1200cm and I'm attaching the top view shape as it's not a rectangle.

My questions are:
1. Is this enough space for 8-12 quail to be happy? I'm interested in a high quality of life and will be doing my best to replicate a natural environment for them with hidey holes and nesting material. I'm starting off with 8 but don't want to limit myself if I'd like to increase the flock later.
2. What's the best straw/hay to give them for nesting? A neighbour sells large hay bales of setaria grass which would be a great economical option, but I can't find anything on wether or not it's safe for quail - it apparently is high in oxalate, but I can't find any info on that that means for poultry.
3. I live in a temperate/sub tropical climate where it reaches 35 C (95 F) in summer and lows of probably min 6 C overnight in winter (43 F). Their coop will have half full wire mesh walls, and the other half will be made from roofing panels to allow for shelter and airflow. Would they need a more sheltered area in winter or will they be okay with hidey holes and hay?
4. Do they need to be wormed regularly?
If so, how is it best to do this?
5. Is game feed the only option in terms of diet? Is it possible to feed them a balanced diet from kitchen scraps, veggie garden off cuts and bugs/worms without any supplemented feed? I am struggling to find the right feed for quail in Australia, as turkeys aren't a commonly kept bird and all the chicken feed I can find has max 18% protein, which I believe is too low? Can I feed them a mix of a chicken or finch feed with live bugs? I'm not sure what the best thing to do is.

I think that's all, if I have any other questions I might add them later!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 2.00.36 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 2.00.36 pm.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
1. You have enough space for 8 -12 birds, especially if they have plenty of hiding places.

2. I don't think that setaria grass would harm them once in a while, but because it's high in oxalates, it might cause them issues eventually since it interferes with their calcium intake. Calcium is critical for laying hens. They should have a dirt or sand bath available too.

3. Your temperatures sound ideal for your quail. They will be fine with hidey holes and hay.

4. I have never had to worm my quail.

5. 18% protein is fine for adults. Chicks need 28-30% protein, which you can fake with cat food, egg (boiled and crushed), meal worms (but not too much, they're high in fat), black soldier fly larvae, or other insects.

Have you taken a look through the articles on quail?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/

1. You have enough space for 8 -12 birds, especially if they have plenty of hiding places.

2. I don't think that setaria grass would harm them once in a while, but because it's high in oxalates, it might cause them issues eventually since it interferes with their calcium intake. Calcium is critical for laying hens. They should have a dirt or sand bath available too.

3. Your temperatures sound ideal for your quail. They will be fine with hidey holes and hay.

4. I have never had to worm my quail.

5. 18% protein is fine for adults. Chicks need 28-30% protein, which you can fake with cat food, egg (boiled and crushed), meal worms (but not too much, they're high in fat), black soldier fly larvae, or other insects.

Have you taken a look through the articles on quail?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/

Thank you for your advice!

In regards to giving them calcium, I know that you can give chickens their eggshells - can you do the same with quail? Would be great to not have to buy oyster shell all the time. I also live near the beach and sometimes we get cuttlefish bones wash up, would this be ok for them as well?

I didn't know you could feed them egg - their own eggs?? How regularly should they get them?

I hadn't seen the articles, but I've just spent the morning reading through them, thank you! :)

Also, this is the feed I've been able to find while in lockdown (I'm limited to searching online as pet shops are closed), are these both suitable for adult laying hens?

The Passwell crumbles (attached as a PDF) seem like a legit feed, but only 15% protein, whereas the Breeders Secret has 22% but I can't find an ingredient list and I've read that giving the quail seed (which this is from what I can tell from the images) rather than a crumble leads to potentially more waste as the hens will pick out the seeds they prefer and leave what they don't?

1629937177332.png

The Breeders Secret claims to be "a complete all year round diet for all types of Quail.
This premium quality food has been specially formulated using 22% Protein and Omega 6 Fatty Acids which not only maximises egg size and rate but also increases fertility and hatchability."

That's all it says.

The crumbles are meant to be supplemented with 20% fresh fruit/veg/sprouts.

Any advice on this would be amazing!

Attachments

• Crumbles-Flyer.pdf
    117.3 KB · Views: 11
Eggshell is great for calcium. I give mine their own eggshells, but since that usually isn't quite enough, I supplement with oyster shell. I you want to go cheap/free, you could probably go to a place that serves breakfast and ask them for their eggshells.

Egg is usually for chicks to boos protein, but sometimes I'll take the eggs, boil them, and crush it, shells and all and give it to them as a treat. Treats shouldn't be more than 10% of their diet.

Your birds will absolutely pick out the parts they like if you give them seeds. That's one of the good things about crumble. You know that they're getting their full nutrition.

Also, this is the feed I've been able to find while in lockdown (I'm limited to searching online as pet shops are closed), are these both suitable for adult laying hens?

The Passwell crumbles (attached as a PDF) seem like a legit feed, but only 15% protein, whereas the Breeders Secret has 22% but I can't find an ingredient list and I've read that giving the quail seed (which this is from what I can tell from the images) rather than a crumble leads to potentially more waste as the hens will pick out the seeds they prefer and leave what they don't?

View attachment 2811477

The Breeders Secret claims to be "a complete all year round diet for all types of Quail.
This premium quality food has been specially formulated using 22% Protein and Omega 6 Fatty Acids which not only maximises egg size and rate but also increases fertility and hatchability."

That's all it says.

The crumbles are meant to be supplemented with 20% fresh fruit/veg/sprouts.

Any advice on this would be amazing!
Are you able to order from chewy.com or amazon? I can recommend some that can be ordered thru those sites.

Eggshell is great for calcium. I give mine their own eggshells, but since that usually isn't quite enough, I supplement with oyster shell. I you want to go cheap/free, you could probably go to a place that serves breakfast and ask them for their eggshells.

Egg is usually for chicks to boos protein, but sometimes I'll take the eggs, boil them, and crush it, shells and all and give it to them as a treat. Treats shouldn't be more than 10% of their diet.

Your birds will absolutely pick out the parts they like if you give them seeds. That's one of the good things about crumble. You know that they're getting their full nutrition.
That's a good tip, thanks! I'm hoping to cut back on buying eggs provided our little flock can provide enough for us (we're not massive egg eaters so I think they should!), but we have a little cafe nearby and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to donate their eggshells.

It sounds like crumble is the way to go!

Back
Top Bottom