Beginner

ritrimble

Hatching
Dec 6, 2015
I am trying to find a couple of good layers that are a cold hardy breed. I reside in York, Pa. Can anyone provide suggestions?
Thanks,
Rick

Glad you found our site! Lots of breeds would do well in PA. If you want good layers, you can't go wrong with sex links. They are excellent layers of big brown eggs and do well in the cold. Leghorns are great white egg layers, but their combs can be a bit of trouble in the winter. Mine have never had any problems, though. For fun eggs colors you could go with Easter Eggers, which lay a green or blue egg. As a bonus, their pea combs are very resistant to cold weather and they almost never get frostbite. There are lots of other good breed choices too :)

Hi Rick and welcome to our community here at BYC - i hope you enjoy being a member like the rest of us.

CT

Welcome to BYC, Rick. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the Sex Links suggested by Pyxis. I especially like the Black Sex Links as they are very friendly and hardy laying machines that will churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year with double yolks not being uncommon. I've been especially impressed with how persistent they are in laying in really cold winter weather. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Found a few hens...cross bred..silkies..bantam..easters. Seller claimed they would be good layers, most of her hens lays brown eggs, but a few dark green eggs have been found in the nests.

Back
Top Bottom