Beginner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ritrimble, Dec 6, 2015.

1. ritrimble

ritrimble New Egg

Dec 6, 2015
    I am trying to find a couple of good layers that are a cold hardy breed. I reside in York, Pa. Can anyone provide suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Glad you found our site! Lots of breeds would do well in PA. If you want good layers, you can't go wrong with sex links. They are excellent layers of big brown eggs and do well in the cold. Leghorns are great white egg layers, but their combs can be a bit of trouble in the winter. Mine have never had any problems, though. For fun eggs colors you could go with Easter Eggers, which lay a green or blue egg. As a bonus, their pea combs are very resistant to cold weather and they almost never get frostbite. There are lots of other good breed choices too :)

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Rick and welcome to our community here at BYC - i hope you enjoy being a member like the rest of us.

CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pyxis has given you some very good examples. In general chickens are much more tolerant of cold, than heat.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Rick. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the Sex Links suggested by Pyxis. I especially like the Black Sex Links as they are very friendly and hardy laying machines that will churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year with double yolks not being uncommon. I've been especially impressed with how persistent they are in laying in really cold winter weather. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

6. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. ritrimble

ritrimble New Egg

Dec 6, 2015
    Found a few hens...cross bred..silkies..bantam..easters. Seller claimed they would be good layers, most of her hens lays brown eggs, but a few dark green eggs have been found in the nests.

10. ritrimble

ritrimble New Egg

Dec 6, 2015
    Omg....woohoo my hens have laid their first egg for me!!!!! I am just sloop excited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by