Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

Just set my 2 dozen Mahogany eggs in the bator. The air sac on 3 where still floating around some so we will see how they turn out overall. Seems like the first nine I set 7 days ago have only 4 that look viable. Temp still good humidity around 42-46%.

I used to work in classifieds at the local paper. A lady called to place a free ad for her 25 hens, year and a half old. I told her forget the ad, i wanted them. Lol. I kept 15, gave 5 to another crazy chicken lady i worked with, and 5 to a friend who had chickens, too. This was last July. My hubby built the starter run while i brought them home.

This winter, my sister called. Her former renters had left 7 hens and a gorgeous roo. She was unable to care for them.

About a month later, the friends hubby lost his job, and they couldnt afford theirs anymore. So, add another 18 hens.

A few weeks ago, we inherited 6 chicks from a school project.

So, between natural predators, a couple illnesses and a few deep freezes with concurrent power outtages, we have 22 hens in the coop/run, 4 free range hens with roo, and 6 chicks at around 8 weeks, a hatch day of today for 5, next Saturday for 8, the following Saturday for 8 more, and my free rangers wont stop laying fertile eggs.

Glad my hubby loves me so much to keep building on to my chicken area.

Day 19 on our first attempt at hatching eggs and I'm soooooo impatient. I'm worse than the kids at Christmas! I'm already browsing eggs on eBay too. The hubby is going to kill me! Lol

Last edited:
Today is day 18 with my second batch of eggs! Last time we had 4 hatch, 2 died after they were born and a few died in the shell. This time we have 7 eggs from 24 that look good. Hoping for some babies! Both orders were mail ordered eggs. Fingers crossed!

We had a miscommunication at our house. I was gone on a fishing trip for a week and somebody gathered the two eggs under my broody. These eggs were then sold to my cousin....long story short my cousin had a developing chick in her frying pan. At least she was the perfect person for this to happen to as her and her kids thought of it as a science lesson and thought it was very cool.

Y
We had a miscommunication at our house. I was gone on a fishing trip for a week and somebody gathered the two eggs under my broody. These eggs were then sold to my cousin....long story short my cousin had a developing chick in her frying pan. At least she was the perfect person for this to happen to as her and her kids thought of it as a science lesson and thought it was very cool.

Yikes! I'm not sure I would be able to eat eggs for awhile after that!

So today is day 20 and no pipping yet. One egg is rocking but no movement in the others. I'm nervous bc my humidity was out of control the last week of incubating. Fingers crossed! I want to candle soooo bad but I will be good and keep the bator closed.

Y
Yikes! I'm not sure I would be able to eat eggs for awhile after that!

So today is day 20 and no pipping yet. One egg is rocking but no movement in the others. I'm nervous bc my humidity was out of control the last week of incubating. Fingers crossed! I want to candle soooo bad but I will be good and keep the bator closed.
I hope you have a good hatch. My heart was always pounding after the temp or something else went crazy!

First timer here. I hope I don't kill them
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom