Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

Anymore beginners at this time of the year?
Yep! this is my first go round with an incubator. I got 6 Red Bourbon Turkey eggs from my neighbor unexpectedly a week ago. I had only bought an incubator as a backup in case any of my broody hens quit on me, so the 'bator was still in the box! I had to figure it out fast!! So, I candled them for the first time tonight and saw only 2 were fertile and growing. I plan to candle again in about 4 days or so to make sure. I have a Farm Innovators Model 4200 with the auto egg turner. I also bought a digital thermo/hygrometer with remote sensor. I have figured out the temperature thing, but have a question about humidity. I have read it both ways-low humidity during incubation and high humidity incubation. The instructions for the bator say keep it around 55%, then crank it up to 65% during hatching. Right now, I am going the low humidity route at around 24%. Any suggestions?

Yep!  this is my first go round with an incubator.  I got 6 Red Bourbon Turkey eggs from my neighbor unexpectedly a week ago.  I had only bought an incubator as a backup in case any of my broody hens quit on me, so the 'bator was still in the box! I had to figure it out fast!! So, I candled them for the first time tonight and saw only 2 were fertile and growing.  I plan to candle again in about 4 days or so to make sure.  I have a Farm Innovators Model 4200 with the auto egg turner.  I also bought a digital thermo/hygrometer with remote sensor. I have figured out the temperature thing, but have a question about humidity.  I have read it both ways-low humidity during incubation and high humidity incubation.  The instructions for the bator say keep it around 55%, then crank it up to 65% during hatching.  Right now, I am going the low humidity route at around 24%.  Any suggestions?

I have one of those incubators. I added very little water for first 18 days. The last three I added water to only two of the wells. It brought humidity to 70%. I never hatched turkeys only chickens so far. I don't know how much of a difference there would be;) good luck it's so fun!

Yep! this is my first go round with an incubator. I got 6 Red Bourbon Turkey eggs from my neighbor unexpectedly a week ago. I had only bought an incubator as a backup in case any of my broody hens quit on me, so the 'bator was still in the box! I had to figure it out fast!! So, I candled them for the first time tonight and saw only 2 were fertile and growing. I plan to candle again in about 4 days or so to make sure. I have a Farm Innovators Model 4200 with the auto egg turner. I also bought a digital thermo/hygrometer with remote sensor. I have figured out the temperature thing, but have a question about humidity. I have read it both ways-low humidity during incubation and high humidity incubation. The instructions for the bator say keep it around 55%, then crank it up to 65% during hatching. Right now, I am going the low humidity route at around 24%. Any suggestions?

I hope it goes good!!

Back
Top Bottom