Beginning A Rooster's Road to Recovery

The Final Update:

Russell settled in and eventually all the girls, including my eldest had accepted him. Unfortunately the realization that he was used to a flock of hens 4x the size of my own (mine having just 10 hens) meant that mine were getting constant attention and though they were submitting, weren't able to have any breaks. So, about a month ago, I made the decision to return him to his previous keepers. I was sad to see him go but he was much too much for the girls in the end. I've missed his crowing and seeing him tid-bitting to the ladies but they've all gotten along much better without him around. Too much testosterone I think and it was creating a lot of competition amongst them and in all honesty, I never quite got over being intimidated by him. He's happy to once again have more hens than he can keep up with and from what I hear, they're all very happy to have him back. His previous keepers also offered to lend him to me if ever I'm looking for my own chicks to hatch.

Having had Russell (actually named Sampson) here during his recovery did however help me to remember that not all roosters are bad and that sooner or later I would try again. It turns out that day has come much sooner. Last night I brought home a beautiful 5 month old Dominique cockerel which is a breed I have long loved and only recently acquired and I'm rather excited to have a trio. I've spent much time with him this morning and it turns out, he really likes being touched and held. He came from a flock that had several mature hens who were rather aggressive towards him and have already done quite a job of putting him in his place and so far, he's not shown any signs of being that typical spastic cockerel. Fingers crossed he grows up to be one of the good guys.

Last edited:
OhWowWell......interesting. Sounds like a good decision.
Great experience for y'all (and us, vicariously) and for the previous (and now present once again) owners.

Hope you document the new boys progress...maybe in a new thread, linked here.

It wasn't an easy decision but I do feel it was the best choice for everyone involved.

I will be sure to start a new thread and link it here with updates on integrating the new cockerel for those interested. :)

Back
Top Bottom