Beginning coop construction...

Yeah, it's a chance you take. Even paying for sexed birds, there is still a chance a roo will slip through. We were going to process all the roos but we read how beneficial roosters can be so we are going to keep one.

I'm not interested in process or keeping them. We'll just give them away to good homes and call it good.

I understand completely. They can be a lot to deal with it either way. How many do you suspect of being boys?

Hope no more than 2 but who knows. Guess I'll just wait and see who crows and who lays an egg.
barnie.gif

Hope no more than 2 but who knows. Guess I'll just wait and see who crows and who lays an egg. :barnie

Gotta love playing the waiting game!!! How old are they now? Three, four weeks old? One of my cocks was trying to crow at 5 weeks! But I've heard the standard is much much later.

Gotta love playing the waiting game!!! How old are they now? Three, four weeks old? One of my cocks was trying to crow at 5 weeks! But I've heard the standard is much much later.

The 10 at our house are 3 weeks. The 2 at Mom's house are 4 and 5 weeks. Pretty sure that the Blue Copper Maran is a roo. Jury is out on one of the Black Copper Marans and the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.

We've decided to build an extension onto the coop and run. It will act as a brooding pen and grow out pen. Because we only have two hens, we really want more but dont want a separate structure and to go the suggested 16-18 weeks to integrate...

I've read integration is so much easier at a younger age if the chicks and full grown chickens can see each other from the beginning.

Also, wanted to add that last night we got home very late due to some emergencies. We pulled up about an hour after dark and I suddenly remembered that we had chickena and that we had not been home to lock up the coop and I began to panick. But they were all up on the roost in the coop, not a single one of them hurt or maimed. And no attempts at digging or other damage made to the coops run. Doesnt mean it couldnt happen one day but it also makes me feel a little happy that our chickena were safe and secure in the home we made for them.

Also, wanted to add that last night we got home very late due to some emergencies. We pulled up about an hour after dark and I suddenly remembered that we had chickena and that we had not been home to lock up the coop and I began to panick. But they were all up on the roost in the coop, not a single one of them hurt or maimed. And no attempts at digging or other damage made to the coops run. Doesnt mean it couldnt happen one day but it also makes me feel a little happy that our chickena were safe and secure in the home we made for them.

That is great news.

I know well the "heart in your chest" panick, when you didn't check the chickens. I'm glad all is well.

Added a perch to the run. It's sort of hard to see from this angle but it's another large branch that came out of one of our trees when we were pruning earlier. I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow with one of the birds on it.

Yeah I love the BCMs and Gold Laced Wyandottes!

Mine are only 7-8 weeks old but I swear one was attempting to crow at 5 weeks. It's still not a very good crow lol but every morning there are at least a couple crows heard. It's definitely thr bigger Welsummer roo, who we plan on keeping.

We are going to build an addition on to the coop in a couple months that will have an outdoor brooding box and grow out pen. Then we will add a couple more young ladies.

I WANT BCMs! I will have some someday. xD I also want Welsummers. Please keep us posted on your roos temperament. I want a non aggressive one.. if that's possible... Oh fun, an addition already?? hehe How does hubby feel? That's exciting though!

Back
Top Bottom