Beginning plans for a new coop... first timers!

ChickWHorses

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
I live in the Shuswap of British Columbia. We have horses and dogs on 5 acres and are planning to build a coop this spring and get 6 - 12 chicks. Thinking of getting some Barred Rock and Easter Eggers. Our summers are warm 25 - 35 Celsius and depending on the year our winters get little or quite a bit of snow and temps between 5 - -10 Celsius sometimes a week or so of colder. Do we need to insulate our coop? or is supplying a heat lamp sufficient during cold periods? We want to free range our hens. Do you still let the chickens out in the snow during the day? or should I be building a covered run and not free range in winter? I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along. Thanks for any suggestions for this beginner.

First off, WELCOME TO BYC!!! So glad you found us!

If I lived there I'd probably insulate my coop and put a heat lamp in for the days when it goes below zero. A friend of mine in the cold mountains of AZ does that in his and his birds thrive and lay all winter.

I've got an AC unit in my coop and I'll probably be insulating my coop before it get's realy warm here.... just to save on electricity.

OK thanks for the advice and thanks for the welcome. I don't think I am going to go with an A/C though. Was hoping the three opening windows (with screens) and vents will keep things cool enough.

I have two sights in mind... one is open but across from the house in full view and the second is under a tree further from the house but beside the creek. I wonder if it is better to give them a shady spot or more sunny? I am thinking during the heat of the day being they will be free range they will find their own shade either under the coop or somewhere in the yard.

My hubby wants a couple ducks too... can they live with the chickens? He thinks they can and I'm not so sure.

I know lots of dumb questions...LOL.
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom