Beginning to Squat

welcome-byc.gif

I have a variety of chickens - RIR, SLW, EE, BR, Ameraucanas.. Some have laid as early as 20 weeks. It depends on the breed. I find the best indicator is when their combs turn bright red from the pink they had been before.

I put fake ceramic eggs in the nest boxes to encourage them to lay there. Chickens like to keep up with the Joneses, so if they see the nest box being used, then it is ok to lay there. I have had trouble in the past with them not laying in the nest box (mine free range in my yard).

So you may need to keep them cooped until they get used to laying in the nest boxes. I got fake ceramic eggs from Eggnots and they seem to be pretty durable. Cause sometimes the girls kick them out of the nest.

The egg song is that loud and loooong bawking they do after laying an egg. It can go on for two minutes! Here is the link someone posted earlier

Squatting is when they hunch down when you are next to them. The wings go out and up a little. I haven’t found squatting to be a great indicator of laying. My SLW is a great layer and has never once squat for me or the roosters. It depends a lot on the bird. Best indicator I have seen is that red comb.

My friend let's his chickens free roam but they have scarecrows and plenty of bushes for them to duck under plus a coop for night and eggs

Last edited:
Mine started squatting 2-3 weeks before laying. Now, they squat every now and then. When I approach them, sometimes they squat and hold that position so I scratch their backs for a while. LoL.... they really do that so the rooster will get on them.

Raising chickens would be so much easier if they took a little time to read the books and cruise this forum.
barnie.gif

well that would take all the SURPRISE out of it!!!! lol

five girls all all approximately twenty weeks here...two squat but no eggs nor singing yet.

I tell them over and over every day now "no more meal worms until I see eggs" but then I crack and give them their favorite treats anyway

I have been feeding pullets organic feed, is that a good idea?

I live in the country on 640 acres of ag-land, swamp edge, bush and swamps with a creek through half the southwest 1. By swamp I don't mean Everglades, more like lowland meadow-wetlands.
My chickens have a yard over an acre in size but I let them range wherever as well.
I like feeding my birds certified organic but it's expensive to feed 30+ chickens, a dzn ducks, 4 huge turkeys(1 left each for Xmas, Jan/1 & Easter[keeping hen[ ),2 geese, 130+pigeons & a buncha wild birds. So I buy whatever whenever I can spring the extra few bucks. If not, I buy local and go to the feed store for steam rolled barley, oats, corn, chicken scratch and poultry grower and egg ration. I also get Double Duty(grit and shell maker).
So in short, Yes, I think it's better to feed organic if one can afford to. Better than the stuff they make our breads, pastas and doughnuts etc from.......herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers,,, all ripened with Roundup. mmmmmm mmmm good.

Remember though, chickens are essentially a walking garbage disposal unit. chickens are omnivorous. Let them out at worms, grubs, beetles, legumes and grasses, fruits and vegetables. My Nana would hang a frozen rabbit in the coop high enough the chickens would have to jump up to peck at it. Extra protein and exercise for over(grain)fed omnivores. My Pampa would throw a fish on the pen now and then.
I hope this is helpful to you.
HAGD

Back
Top Bottom