Beginning to Squat

Hello, we are new to raising chickens, we bought our birds this summer they should be 18 - 20 weeks or so, please tell me what you mean by squatting? We have two golden lace Wyandotte the youngest and one of each being the older chicks, Australorp, Buff Orpington, Americana.

the hen will literally squat and hold her wings apart from her body when stroked on the back, mine do this because i have worked very hard to keep them tame and friendly. but the best sign is the comb and wattle gets red, they may even practice their song. it sounds like a caw caw sound, but with alot of feeling.

Quote:
When people tell you that the hens will open their wings, don't envision a fully opened wing because that's not what happens. They open their wing just a little but it's noticeable. Not sure exactly how to describe it but you'll know it when you see it. They squat, their back goes down a little, and both wings open a little.

Hello, we are new to raising chickens, we bought our birds this summer they should be 18 - 20 weeks or so, please tell me what you mean by squatting? We have two golden lace Wyandotte the youngest and one of each being the older chicks, Australorp, Buff Orpington, Americana.

I tried to get a picture of one of mine doing it but they won't cooperate this morning
hu.gif
. Here's a video that's a good demonstration of it.

the hen will literally squat and hold her wings apart from her body when stroked on the back, mine do this because i have worked very hard to keep them tame and friendly. but the best sign is the comb and wattle gets red, they may even practice their song. it sounds like a caw caw sound, but with alot of feeling.

My older girl who's retired from laying still squats...??

Back
Top Bottom