Behavior Question

Wattle Queen

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2015
Tn
I have a RIR roo, Silver Phoenix roo, Red & Black Sexlink hen & a Black Jersey Giant hen. My girls are 7 months (RBS) & 9 months (BJG). I brought them some corn to their coop earlier after they roosted. Both girls came to scratch & the RBS started stomping her feet & pointed her right wing down & dancing & cackling like the roos do. Neither has layed yet either. What does that dance mean & what signs do I look for to let me know they're getting ready to lay?

That sounds like the "chicken dance" the roos do. It's the closest thing they do to a courting display. I've never heard of a hen doing this before. I have heard of hens that crow, however. Maybe someone else has experienced it. As for signs of a hen approaching laying age, red combs and wattles are among the first signs that they're getting close. Some also may squat in submission as well. This usually happens when you or a roo is around them.

Last edited:
That sounds like the "chicken dance" the roos do. It's the closest thing they do to a courting display. I've never heard of a hen doing this before. I have heard of hens that crow, however. Maybe someone else has experienced it. As for signs of a hen approaching laying age, red combs and wattles are among the first signs that they're getting close. Some also may squat in submission as well. This usually happens when you or a roo is around them.

Totally agree!

CT

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining us!

Thank y'all for the welcome. I heard the Black Jersey Giant hen crow a little last week. It was cute. All of my birds have weird little things they do. Here lately the BJG hen is puffing her feathers up at the Silver Phoenix roo so he puffs his back up & they have a stare off then start challenging each other. Does anybody know what this means?

Thank y'all for the welcome. I heard the Black Jersey Giant hen crow a little last week. It was cute. All of my birds have weird little things they do. Here lately the BJG hen is puffing her feathers up at the Silver Phoenix roo so he puffs his back up & they have a stare off then start challenging each other. Does anybody know what this means?

Stare offs and raising hackle (neck) feathers is common in hens and Roos. Roos usually do it more often with each other. Just going by what you describe, it sounds like you may have more roos than what you thought. Maybe post a few pics of them to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom