Behavior question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Khasimir, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Khasimir

Khasimir Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before and if so, what are your thoughts.

Our older flock (about 13 months old) has 3 males and 10 females. They've lived in perfect harmony for the past year but in the last two days, one of the males has been chasing around another male and literally making it stay away from the rest of the group.

I'm wondering if this is going to be a long term thing or just a pecking order type flair up?

Thanks.

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Hormones....He is possibly seeing the other as getting too interested in his favourite hen...
    Wait and see?? Usually they figure things out...

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    He's probably just trying to be the top drake. I'm sure he'll work things out with the other drakes and everything will go back to normal again.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes dividing the flock for a few days resets the dynamic. Just watch to make sure the conflict does not become harmful.

5. Khasimir

Khasimir Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Thanks for the responses. I'm keeping an eye on it as I'm starting to feel quite bad for the drake being chased. The poor guy is just minding his own business when the aggressor comes and starts chasing him. I've even seen him trying to hide from him when they are in their coop.

6. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Sad....Might be time to rethink the flock?

Best of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by