Behavior question

Heather08

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Florida
SO my 6 week olds were moved into the coop yesterday and they seem to like it, but they go over to the lamps and flop on their sides and strech wings out, what is this behavior? I feel like I might need to get them some lazy-boys. All pullets in this group of 7.

Also i think i made a mistake and got the pine pellets for the floor and it opens up to saw dust type bedding. This is bad huh? I need to cover them up with shavings?

The behavior going on under the lamps is completly normal. It is just like sunbathing and dustbathing. Adults do it in the sun, babies do it under the lamp.

Don't know about the bedding.

-Kim

Pellets are fine as long as you don't see them eating them. The chicks are behaving perfectly normal.
smile.png

well unfortunately i soaked them a little so they opened up into saw dust, I use this pine pellets for my horses and it so fresh smelling and easy to clean and I saw everyone use pine beddig only I figured it would be ok, but i read that the saw dust smalller material can be bad, i cant get shavings now till monday, or I could put hay down over it, they dont seem to be eating it per se, but they of course range around but do eat mostly out of their feeder. Its suppose be cold tomorrow night like 32, i have the whole coop closed up with plastic and carpet padding, there is no breeze and i have 2 brooder lamps that are about 18" off the ground. They look like they did great last night, I assume as long as everyone is eating and milliing about they are comfortable?

I have 2 black ones that had the white dots on top of their heads I was told they were the silver something or other, but i see on a thread that look veyr similar to them that they are barred rock?

Getting all these breeds right is tough.

Back
Top Bottom