Being picked Bald?

newchik715

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Washington
I think one of my girls is being picked bald by the others. I have not really seen any serious pecking yet. Some dominant stuff but not pecking. She seems fine...eating, pooping, drinking, being a general nuisance. When I look at the other girls they seem to have bald spots in the same area.....only smaller....could this just be the way their feathers are coming in? Do they have a 'break' in feathers along the side of the neck? what would it look like if it had been pecked out? would it be all bloody?
40331_baldy.jpg

and this is the same bird.
40331_baldy2.jpg

Last edited:
well what do i do about it? the others have this same bare spot but not as big...are they all being pecked in the same way? Does the pic look like she was pecked?

Are they getting proper chick feed? Are they overcrowded? They should have 6 sqin per bird or more. If these are OK, find the one(s) that is doing plucking and remove it away from others. I have found in the past once a bird starts plucking, it will always pluck, personally, I re-home these.

I would give them more room, and make sure they have a RED heat lamp. The red has a calming effect on chickens, and will help curb picking.

The only help that I can offer is if they have enough room, and the proper nutrients, and a red light, and fresh water, than you need to find the bully and move her. I had a chick that plucked the feathers and I did not cull her, and she ended up plucking the feathers off a hen that it looked like she was naked, and the roo was missing his tail feathers, I re homed her right into the freezer. there is a product called Hot Pick that works, but, again try to find the one who does not have andy feathers missing. Blu-coat also works, kind of messy but it hides the blood from the feathers being removed.

Back
Top Bottom