Being picked Bald?

newchik715

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Washington
I think one of my girls is being picked bald by the others. I have not really seen any serious pecking yet. Some dominant stuff but not pecking. She seems fine...eating, pooping, drinking, being a general nuisance. When I look at the other girls they seem to have bald spots in the same area.....only smaller....could this just be the way their feathers are coming in? Do they have a 'break' in feathers along the side of the neck? what would it look like if it had been pecked out? would it be all bloody?
40331_baldy.jpg

and this is the same bird.
40331_baldy2.jpg

Last edited:

newchik715

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Washington
well what do i do about it? the others have this same bare spot but not as big...are they all being pecked in the same way? Does the pic look like she was pecked?

Chickens-246

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Are they getting proper chick feed? Are they overcrowded? They should have 6 sqin per bird or more. If these are OK, find the one(s) that is doing plucking and remove it away from others. I have found in the past once a bird starts plucking, it will always pluck, personally, I re-home these.

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
I would give them more room, and make sure they have a RED heat lamp. The red has a calming effect on chickens, and will help curb picking.

ilovechickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
West Central Wisconsin
The only help that I can offer is if they have enough room, and the proper nutrients, and a red light, and fresh water, than you need to find the bully and move her. I had a chick that plucked the feathers and I did not cull her, and she ended up plucking the feathers off a hen that it looked like she was naked, and the roo was missing his tail feathers, I re homed her right into the freezer. there is a product called Hot Pick that works, but, again try to find the one who does not have andy feathers missing. Blu-coat also works, kind of messy but it hides the blood from the feathers being removed.

Top Bottom