Being protective or am I crazy?

Let's not be so quick to judge when you don't have the facts. I'm sorry for ever posting anything on here and I'm crazy to think I could even find people to talk to and share stories with or ask advice from.

Don't give up on BYC just yet! I also thought you got some pretty stern, or even harsh replies to what I thought was a cute story, and an absolutely adorable photo!

I have no doubt that you are taking ultimate care of your dog's, chick's, and children's safety. It seems to me that some people may have overreacted just a little bit..

* sits back and awaits attack * :oops:

Golly, I've kept chicks in the house since, well, practically forever, lol. And bottle fed kid goats, and newly hatched turkey poults and ducks, and handfed baby parrots of all types, and, and...well, all kinds of animals ever since when my own children were tiny. It never crossed my mind that chicks in a house was unusual, lol.

Don't give up on BYC just yet! I also thought you got some pretty stern, or even harsh replies to what I thought was a cute story, and an absolutely adorable photo!
I have no doubt that you are taking ultimate care of your dog's, chick's, and children's safety. It seems to me that some people may have overreacted just a little bit..
* sits back and awaits attack *
hide.gif

Thanks. I love my animals as much as my kids.

Hi, I have a Havaneese also. This breed is known for hearding chickens. For real
ep.gif
. So once the chicks get bigger, he may be of real help. But when the chicks are so little, I would keep the dog away.

I dont have a Havaneese, but I have a Rottweiler/Mastiff mix, which is supposed to be good for herding. When the chicks are little and in the house, I hold them and play with them near the dog (and cat) so that they know that I own these birds and they can get used to that. Never trust them alone, even if they are the sweetest, they can turn in an instant.

Funny story: When the dog was locked in the kitchen one day while I was at work, one of the chickens got out of the brooder, walked through the kitchen where she was kept, and was strutting around my living room when I got home!
wee.gif
I guess all the handling was good! Good Luck!
hugs.gif

Thanks. And I never leave them alone together. I know if it just trying to play I could lose my chick. So we always supervise and if the girls are letting the chicks out to get them use to them they keep the dogs out of the room. Thanks for tip!

Back
Top Bottom