Being protective or am I crazy?

BBAcres

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Yukon,Oklahoma
So I have six baby pullets living in my girls room. And we keep the big dogs out of there while my two Havanese are scared of them and run. I just finished their new brooder using a swimming pool and chicken wire. Now the dogs can see them since they were living in a card board box. I've taken some of the babies out and aloud Dublin to check them out this week. He's the biggest wuss I know. Well tonight he has kept a close eye on those chicks! When our alpha dog (Checotah) came up to see what it was, he tried to take Checotah's head off and refused to let him get near them. Then my daughter went to pick a baby up and he started growling at her! I'm shocked he has reactted this way since if you even raise your voice he runs and hides. I wonder what's gotten into him tonight.

Here he is sitting and watching the little photo shoot I was doing with two of the girls for our site. They decided to check him out. Don't worry he doesn't even bother them.

I really hope you corrected the dog immediately for growling at the child!! It sounds like he's being possessive about the chicks and I would keep him away from them. Do not allow him to be aggressive toward anyone with the birds.

When it comes to you, your kids, people you bring around, and animals you allow around; the behavior needs to be corrected with a stern no, and removing him from the room and not allowing him in until he settles down.

Yep, I agree that he views the chicks (and your kids) as his property...which is something that could turn really ugly, really quick. He should look to you and your kids for your permission to be near your property, instead of the other way around.

Hi, I have a Havaneese also. This breed is known for hearding chickens. For real
ep.gif
. So once the chicks get bigger, he may be of real help. But when the chicks are so little, I would keep the dog away. My Havaneese ate a baby bird once. It had fallen out of the nest and he gobbled it up before we could get to him. I could not believe it. He is the sweetest dog, but he ate that little bird.

Why are the chicks in your girls room and why didn't you put the dog in his place when he growled at your daughter. That is ridiculous.

Ok first of all it's not like I said hey good dog. Yes I told him no when he did that and he laid down and hasn't done it since. I think he just got a little too excited when the other dog cam in because he knew that dog was trying to get them and not in a good way. Yes we keep him out. My puppy is not agressive he's the sweetest baby that was just a first. AGAIN he hasn't done that since.

Secondly. If I want to put the brooder in th girls room why not?? My kids are not 3 or 4 years old. They are almost teenagers. So what's the big deal? We don't have our coop finished. And to put them in my barn by theirselves would just be stupid since they are so young and snakes and whatnot can get in there if they want. My kids have been raised around livestock. While I was in Iraq they lived with their dad's family and had to get up and help feed the chickens and the sheep and clean and all that fun stuff that comes with it so they can be trusted to have them in there. They tend to our goat herd, feeding and watering and cleaning out the pens.

Let's not be so quick to judge when you don't have the facts. I'm sorry for ever posting anything on here and I'm crazy to think I could even find people to talk to and share stories with or ask advice from.

I have chicks in my ten year old's room right now. I don't see the problem as long as the child is responsible and understands how to handle them. We kept chicks in his room last year, too.

He loves it, and it sure is easier to wake him up for school now because he's so eager to check on them. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom