Below Zero Blues

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by eggscetera, Jan 3, 2012.

1. eggscetera

eggscetera Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    Palmer, Alaska
    It's ten below zero here. It's been below zero for days. My chickens have stopped laying they are so cold. My car is dead in the driveway and I need to run errands. The hood is frozen shut so I need to take an ice pick to it before i can open it to put on a battery charger. I've had better days. I wish it would warm up.

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Brrr...cold here too. Going to get down to like 7 but, with windchill, could be colder. I'm thinking about bringing in one of my Silkies roos as he was shivering earlier today. But I don't know if he was shivering from cold or excitement, cause he shivers when it isn't cold out too.

Can't complain though, for N. PA, we have had a really nice, mild winter. [​IMG]

3. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

We had that weather although not quite that bad before christmas:
    [​IMG]

Didnt thaw out for a couple of weeks, since we has so much more snow than the front range of the Rockies...
    42° now and will get down to about 18 tonight. It only getting to 15-20 during the day the last half of december.
    Overcast so we still have a lot of snow cover, but we did need it.

I feel your pain, wishing you warm green thoughts!!!!
    Look for posts with pics from people in FL, made me so cabin fever sick...

Southern folks, got any pics to make the cold ones feel better?????

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hope it warms up for you. If it gets below zero here, I'm going to hiberate.

5. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:In a magazine I seen pictures of beautiful, tropical St. John, I'm totally making plans in the future to visit that awesome place!!

6. Quote:Not any better over here at the base of the smokies either, burrr

7. MaryMouse

MaryMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2011
    Yup, I hate cold.[​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:oooooo is that snow!!!! i want to see some snow here instead of the ice we get [​IMG] blah stupid slippery ice (i am not i a child i am in my 20's but yes living in louisiana dont get to see snow just ice). i have built an iceman before but would be nice to build a snowman [​IMG]

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sorry about your car. Car trouble is always such an extra hassle in the winter. Maybe have some soup, tea, hot chocolate or hot cider when you get back. I have a lot of those in the winter, after I come in from outside.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Ten below? I won't complain about our 19 above zero temps! I've always wondered how people live minus 0 weather!

Maybe a summer photo will help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by