Benadryl dosages for Dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bantamlover23, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    What is the dosage of benadryl for a dog under 25 lbs. and those over 25 lbs.?

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:Call your vet! They would know best!

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    The dosage is 1 mg per pound. If the dog is under 20 pounds you need to use children's liquid.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Love my Critters! :

The dosage is 1 mg per pound. If the dog is under 20 pounds you need to use children's liquid.

Actually if the dog is under 25 lbs - All the benedryl I have seen comes in 25mg tablets/caplets. My dog has severe allergies and benedryl is kind of her friend. But she is big and gets 3 caplets.​

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Be careful about using Benadryl unless you vet has recommended it, some dogs have bad reactions. If the vet recommended it, ask for the dosage.

6. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    I just called my vet about it last week and it's 1 mg per pound. I used children's chewable with cheese wrapped around it. Works great.

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I think I should ask my vet about that for my lab mix. She has horrible allergies! She itches her face so bad she rips out her whiskers and has a chunk of skin missing above each of her eyes. [​IMG] I have anti-itch shampoo and spray, but nothing stops her from itching. I am switching her to a grain-free food, TOTW, so I hope she gets better. [​IMG]

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:My GSP has horrible allergies. We have her on shots and benedryl along with Salmon based dog food that has no corn, chicken or yeast in it. Her itching on her face, ears and between her foot pads and toes turned out be yeast infections and we needed special meds for that but she is sop much better now. She had a bad odor when she had that. Does your dog smell too?

9. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I just had to use it yesterday with our Great Dane pup. She got into bees or wasps or something and her whole face swelled up. It was awful looking. She weighs close to 70 lbs. So we gave her 3 (25 mg each) and then 3 more about 4 hours later. Cleared her right up with no adverse reactions.

10. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:My GSP has horrible allergies. We have her on shots and benedryl along with Salmon based dog food that has no corn, chicken or yeast in it. Her itching on her face, ears and between her foot pads and toes turned out be yeast infections and we needed special meds for that but she is sop much better now. She had a bad odor when she had that. Does your dog smell too?

No, my dog just smells like a dog. [​IMG] I read up on allergy shots, but they contain steroids, which can be bad for your dogs health. Does chickens cause allergies? If it does then I will try and find a variety of TOTW that doesn't have any chicken....that is if it exists. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by