bent leg turkey problem

Daisy Minotaur

Chirping
May 16, 2019
Brookville, PA, USA
I’ve got a turkey (chick?) about 2 months old with bowed looking legs. (S)he stumbles/sways when (s)he walks and has a tendency to lay/sit more then the three other turkeys (s)he is with. My MIL says she thinks (s)he’s been having difficulty for about two weeks. And that (s)he seems hump backed too.
They (3 bantam pullets, 1 bantam roo, 1 Muscovy duckling, and 4 turkeys) have been getting 20% chick starter, many meal worm treats, cat food (they steal from the cats), and table scraps (apple peals, wilted lettuce that kind of thing)
They free range in our yard/fields/garden most of the day and are put in for the night.
Tried searching but am still not sure what’s wrong with the turkey.
D471E667-2029-470E-B591-18EE9F769D00.jpeg
D7D47F3E-16A0-4588-9D83-9949155452B5.jpeg
2F24411E-8F07-460C-95C4-B2278C0FF73D.jpeg
DC91DE1D-4D8B-446E-90C3-F8AA791309D0.jpeg
D69DA096-AC4A-446F-BE72-BB831EFFDF7F.jpeg
E459E831-ABF3-4A63-8D70-0A7A1192884A.jpeg

Sorry about that. You never know what will happen when you give your poults improper nutrition. It may be due to a genetic condition but I suspect that it has more to do with not getting enough niacin, thiamine, lysine and methionine along with insufficient protein.

You can try giving it vitamin B complex made at the rate of 1/2 tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water and it should be made fresh daily. All of your poultry can have this solution.

It is very likely that it will not heal and will continue to get worse. Whatever you do, do not use this turkey in any breeding program.

Did the bag lie?
DDB4BCEF-D0CC-4850-8256-692C7CEF9A41.jpeg
CF21663F-0FCC-4FBB-BFB7-88CA9142E81F.jpeg

I don’t know if it’s feasible to make the mixture the only source of water except at night (as they free range during the day and drink from cat pan, mud puddle etc. as well as the water they are supposed to drink) short of incarcerating the turkey in a dog crate. Would you recommend that?
The turkeys were bought as companions for for the single duckling that lost its two siblings. And were going to be butchered once they got old enough and the duckling could safely be with the adult ducks. So breeding is not a problem.

Last edited:
Did the bag lie?
View attachment 2784657View attachment 2784662
I don’t know if it’s feasible to make the mixture the only source of water except at night (as they free range during the day and drink from cat pan, mud puddle etc. as well as the water they are supposed to drink) short of incarcerating the turkey in a dog crate. Would you recommend that?
The turkeys were bought as companions for for the single duckling that lost its two siblings. And were going to be butchered once they got old enough and the duckling could safely be with the adult ducks. So breeding is not a problem.
Yes I know that TSC improperly labels their chick starter as being okay for many varieties of fowl that it is not suitable for. TSC does not have your poultry's best interest at heart. They are only interested in making a profit.

If they fell under the jurisdiction of the FDA, they would not be able to get away with making the false claims they make. Unfortunately they fall under the USDA which apparently does not care about the false claims.

Turkeys poults need a turkey or game bird starter in 28% to 30% range and lysine min 1.6% to 1.7% and methionine min 0.58% to 0.7% for first 6 to 8 weeks. Then a turkey or game bird grower around 24% and lysine min 1.4% to 1.5% and methionine min 0.5% to 0.6% if you can stay close to those numbers you shouldn't have any trouble. And you should only feed them that at least till 8 to 12 weeks old without all the other treats you have been feeding.
Did the bag lie?
View attachment 2784657View attachment 2784662

Like @R2elk said it could be genetic But if it didn't show any of those signs as a young poult it probable has something to do with diet. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse before you can get it to a good butchering size.

Back
Top Bottom