Tom’s leg bent backwards…. Help!!!

Lhahn257

Hatching
Mar 12, 2023
I found our 7 year old Tom in the barn with his leg bent completely backwards. No swelling. What’s the best way to splint or fix? Is he too old to try and treat? Most of the info I have found is on chicks not a grown turkey.

I found our 7 year old Tom in the barn with his leg bent completely backwards. No swelling. What’s the best way to splint or fix? Is he too old to try and treat? Most of the info I have found is on chicks not a grown turkey.
If a vet is a possibility, that is the way to go.

If it was my turkey, I would be processing it.

Pictures will help people understand what is going on with him.

If a vet is a possibility, that is the way to go.

If it was my turkey, I would be processing it.

Pictures will help people understand what is going on with him.
Hi, my 3 months turkey girl became bent legs overnight. it;s been few days till now, what do you suggest fixing it? She can drink and eat, her legs look lame now.

Many many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-05 at 13.24.49.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-05 at 13.24.49.jpeg
    789.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi, my 3 months turkey girl became bent legs overnight. it;s been few days till now, what do you suggest fixing it? She can drink and eat, her legs look lame now.

Many many thanks in advance.
Sorry, can't tell from the picture if it is a broken hock or a slipped tendon. Unfortunately at that age, the prognosis for recovery is very poor.

You can check to see if the tendon is out of its groove and manually manipulate it back into position if that is the problem. If it is the tendon, once it is in place, you will need to make some type of cast to keep it in place.

The advice I gave the OP is the same that I would follow if it was my turkey.

Sorry, can't tell from the picture if it is a broken hock or a slipped tendon. Unfortunately at that age, the prognosis for recovery is very poor.

You can check to see if the tendon is out of its groove and manually manipulate it back into position if that is the problem. If it is the tendon, once it is in place, you will need to make some type of cast to keep it in place.

The advice I gave the OP is the same that I would follow if it was my turkey.
Thanks for you advice! It is likely she contracted Marek's disease, which has no cure that what google told me :<.

Thanks for you advice! It is likely she contracted Marek's disease, which has no cure that what google told me :<.
Not likely for a turkey to get Marek's. Marek's is rare in turkeys. Your turkey does not show the lesions associated with Marek's.

Slipped tendon aka perosis is fairly common in improperly fed broad breasted turkeys and can also happen in heritage turkeys.

It looks like she has symptoms associated with MD's nerve type :< , very similar to the posture i found online.

• One leg stretched forward and the other back
  • Paralysis
mY hushand has been keeping her in bathroom with tile flooring,would it be the reason she has sudden slipped tendon?

sorry we are new to keeping Turkey!
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-07 at 10.23.20.jpeg

It looks like she has symptoms associated with MD's nerve type :< , very similar to the posture i found online.

• One leg stretched forward and the other back
  • Paralysis
mY hushand has been keeping her in bathroom with tile flooring,would it be the reason she has sudden slipped tendon?

sorry we are new to keeping Turkey!
View attachment 3678165
Slick surfaces are not good for any poultry. Really looks like perosis.

Thanks for you reply. It relieves my worry that it is unlikely to be MD.

Next challenge is to correct the tendon in place ><, any tips for it?

Leg bone deformities are genetic and not correctable. They can affect all poultry, including broiler chickens, turkeys, and males are more at risk.

Back
Top Bottom