Chick unable to walk properly, need help identifying disease/injury/deficiency

Backyardtut

Chirping
Jul 1, 2022
I have a young chicken, about 2 months old.
Last week he and one of his siblings began walking on their hock joints. I brought them indoors and made sure they had access to feed and water, they were eating and drinking well. I couldn’t find any injuries. I lost one of them 2 days later. He seemed like he was getting better, started walking more, but then died.
Today the surviving one seems really bad. He is only able to walk/hobble backwards now, but was getting around well on his hocks this morning. Every day his legs become more crippled. He is still eager to eat and drink.. and seems to WANT to walk, but is unable to.
I can’t figure out what’s going on. Mereks? Vitamin b2 deficiency? I’ve never had this happen to my birds before.
He was hatched on our property by our own flock members who have never had problems like this.

Attachments

• IMG_7396.jpeg
    IMG_7396.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7391.jpeg
    IMG_7391.jpeg
    543.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7389.jpeg
    IMG_7389.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7382.jpeg
    IMG_7382.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7378.jpeg
    IMG_7378.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7376.jpeg
    IMG_7376.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7380.jpeg
    IMG_7380.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Can you take a video of them walking?
Yes, I will upload as soon as possible. As of now he is pretty immobile. I do have a video of him from a day or two ago though that I will upload. At that point he was walking around on his hocks but still getting from point A to point B.

Yes, I will upload as soon as possible. As of now he is pretty immobile. I do have a video of him from a day or two ago though that I will upload. At that point he was walking around on his hocks but still getting from point A to point B.
Video of chick today:

Last edited:
I would give the chicken a lot of vitamin B. Particularly B2 (Riboflavin) but B complex is easier to find in the pharmacy.
The B complex is very safe so no danger of overdose and it may just work. In my experience (link below) it took a while to work but it definitely did.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-week-old-chick-with-a-bad-leg-any-advice-please.1519956/
Thanks for the link. How long would you say it took to see progress? I hate seeing him struggle.

Back
Top Bottom