Mereks disease? Why does this keep happening to me?

georgieboy11

Songster
5 Years
Jan 12, 2018
Indiana
Yesterday I noticed my 6 month old rooster walking funny and my heart sank. Now today he can’t walk. This is my fourth rooster this year that I’ve lost to what I have been assuming is mereks. They are fine and completely healthy one day and then lame in one or both legs the next. All of them were under a year old and none of my older chickens have been affected by it. The first 3 roosters who had it I bought as day olds from a hatchery I paid to have them vaccinated for mereks but I know that doesn’t mean much, the first ones were I think 5months old when they got it and they did not all get it at the same time. The first one got it I isolated him, lived unable to use his legs at all for around two weeks until I made the decision to put him out of his suffering. The next rooster got it maybe a week later and the same thing happened. I had to put him down as well. 5 months go by and another one of their rooster siblings goes lame in one leg but can still walk and he lives like that for a few weeks before I find him dead. That was a little over a month and a half ago. Out of the 5 chicks I got from the hatchery all 3 of the males got it but the 2 females are still alive and fine. That is what’s confusing me, why are the females that are the same age and were around the males who had it not being affected? And now my lone rooster chick who one of my hens hatched out has it. But I am still assuming it is mereks and there is probably nothing I can do to help him but I wanted to ask and make sure. The only symptom is lameness and runny poop, they all ate and drank fine and were completely healthy otherwise. Is there anything I can do? And if it is mereks is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

Attachments

• 2BBFC956-74EC-451F-A271-E7347068EE2D.jpeg
    2BBFC956-74EC-451F-A271-E7347068EE2D.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 7F0C6AAB-4535-4794-8350-1FD37D58BFC4.jpeg
    7F0C6AAB-4535-4794-8350-1FD37D58BFC4.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 91276A09-A3FB-4EA5-A0FE-94B13C677029.jpeg
    91276A09-A3FB-4EA5-A0FE-94B13C677029.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 7
Keep the rooster separate from the other birds. Marek's is contagious and it would make sense that he's not the only one getting it. I don't understand why none of the hens have got it though. It could be a deficiency and since they're still growing they need vitamins. I would recommend vitamins and go to the vet if possible. Check for other problems. Just for example, we had a hen get egg bound and she couldn't walk very well until she passed the egg. (Obviously that's not the problem if he's a rooster and too young to be laying anyway....) Don't give up on him as fast as the others! It takes time to heal! Good luck! Sorry about the other little roos.... 😞

Riboflavin Deficiency can resemble Marek's Disease. Riboflavin Deficiency is also known as Curled Toe Paralysis. Despite it's name, toes aren't always curled. Depends on severity.

If that's what is going on, you'll need to treat it with a high dose of Vitamin B2.

Last edited:
That's not unheard of for vaccinated chicks to get Mareks, but it's only 5-10% chance and you have 3 so that seems odd.

Just to rule out a vitamin deficiency, plus help their systems in case they're fighting something, I'd just try Poultry Cell in their water for at least couple of days and see if that shows any improvement in them. I'd continue doing that every other day for several weeks if it does.

Back
Top Bottom