Chick unable to walk properly, need help identifying disease/injury/deficiency

They have access to unlimited amounts of all flock and scratch grain at all times. I give a handful or two of scraps daily.
Cut out the scratch, it should be less than 10% of their diet. It is likely vitamin deficiency.
Give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, any brand from the grocery stores.

It took about 8-10 days of high doses of Vitamin B2 and physical therapy for her to get mobile.
Then I eased up on the vitamin B and she relapsed (other leg). So then I had to start over.
But in case you haven't made it through the thread I linked it has a happy ending. You might want to work through it because it has lots of video of her trying to move so you can see the similarities and it is quite uplifting because she really is fully over it now and is big, beautiful and fully in command of both legs.

I would give 1/2 tablet daily of human B complex containing riboflavin orally daily. Stop the scratch grains and give just the balanced feed. The sooner a riboflavin deficiency is treated the better the chances for success. It can turn into curled toe paralysis.

I would give 1/2 tablet daily of human B complex containing riboflavin orally daily. Stop the scratch grains and give just the balanced feed. The sooner a riboflavin deficiency is treated the better the chances for success. It can turn into curled toe paralysis.
Thanks for the advice. Does the mg matter?

Cut out the scratch, it should be less than 10% of their diet. It is likely vitamin deficiency.
Give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, any brand from the grocery stores.
Good to know. We recently introduced the scratch for winter, so maybe they’re neglecting their regular feed and just eating the corn 🤔

But in case you haven't made it through the thread I linked it has a happy ending. You might want to work through it because it has lots of video of her trying to move so you can see the similarities and it is quite uplifting because she really is fully over it now and is big, beautiful and fully in command of both legs.
Thank you so much! This gives me hope!!

Good to know. We recently introduced the scratch for winter, so maybe they’re neglecting their regular feed and just eating the corn 🤔
Just a little bit on the ground is OK but it doesn't actually help them in the winter. ;] its entirely possible that they're just eating the tasty stuff out of the feed.

Just a little bit on the ground is OK but it doesn't actually help them in the winter. ;] its entirely possible that they're just eating the tasty stuff out of the feed.
Well shoot! I was misinformed. The only reason I added it was to keep them “warmer” in the colder months. Hopefully removing it helps. I’ll reintroduce later in smaller amounts.

Back
Top Bottom