Rooster resting on hocks, moving backwards

spiderbakesale

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 20, 2017
Sorry about the bunny poo in the pic, I had just gotten home and was working thru chores and my female bun loves pooing outside the box šŸ˜­

Barnaby is a 4m old ee roo. He is a healthy weight and condition other than this sudden issue.

Two nights ago I noticed he was hiding by the barn door, I thought he was intimidated by the turkeys (heā€™d never met turkeys before heā€™s newer to me, he did go thru a quarantine period) and I put him in the barn. He seemed a bit off but again as heā€™s new to me I figured it could be who he is. He ate, drank, and was wandering around. Last night he was a bit more subdued but I got home late so it was bedtime when I saw him. Tonight he was resting on his hocks in the run, unable to walk normally, and very unhappy. He would take tiny steps like he has arthritis, then he would sit down with his legs out in front of him. I brought him inside and he hobbled around a bit while I set up his space. I gave him fresh mash and vitamin water, looked him over without seeing anything obvious like injury or bugs, and set him in the hospital space. A few hours later, he canā€™t stand at all and is only scooting backwards until he bumps up against something and he finally stops moving. He is still interested in food and water. His poop looks watery but well formed.

No other birds are or ever have shown symptoms like this. Iā€™ve had my flock for 7 years.

My flock is currently eating cracked corn, layer feed, and mash daily. The same as they have been eating for 7 years. They are usually free range but their barn is part oat straw bedding and part pine pellet/shaving mix. No mold that I have seen in feed or bedding.

Iā€™m stumped and all searches online are about wryneck or birds occasionally walking backwards. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3481.jpeg
    IMG_3481.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 54
Photos of his poop?

How new to you is he?

Can you take a sample of poop to your vet to see if Coccidiosis and/or worms are part of the problem?

Hard to know what's causing the symptoms, it seems they are getting worse over the course of a few days.
I'd work on hydration, keep him eating and continue with the vitamins to see if they help.
Do check him over for lice/mite and see that his crop is emptying overnight.

Photos of his poop?

How new to you is he?

Can you take a sample of poop to your vet to see if Coccidiosis and/or worms are part of the problem?

Hard to know what's causing the symptoms, it seems they are getting worse over the course of a few days.
I'd work on hydration, keep him eating and continue with the vitamins to see if they help.
Do check him over for lice/mite and see that his crop is emptying overnight.
I got him six weeks ago, he did two weeks quarantine and then one week in the coop separated from the flock, and has been integrated for three weeks now.

I will get poo photos asap, I just cleaned up before bed. Iā€™ll have to call around because my normal chicken vet retired and my other two backups both stopped seeing poultry during the bird flu outbreak.

He had a couple lice, I check several birds daily and treat on a roughly 4m schedule. I will be treating everyone tomorrow but I havenā€™t seen lice on anyone else since June. I dealt with red roost mites this summer and that was horrible! Thankfully that seems to have resolved itself fingers crossed

I got him six weeks ago, he did two weeks quarantine and then one week in the coop separated from the flock, and has been integrated for three weeks now.

I will get poo photos asap, I just cleaned up before bed. Iā€™ll have to call around because my normal chicken vet retired and my other two backups both stopped seeing poultry during the bird flu outbreak.

He had a couple lice, I check several birds daily and treat on a roughly 4m schedule. I will be treating everyone tomorrow but I havenā€™t seen lice on anyone else since June. I dealt with red roost mites this summer and that was horrible! Thankfully that seems to have resolved itself fingers crossed
I hope he recovers.

I'd address the lice for sure and if he's that new to you, getting a fecal float would be a good idea to rule out Coccidiosis especially. He's basically on fairly new ground so he may not have resistance to the Coccidia that's found in the coop/what your chickens are accustomed to.

Back
Top Bottom