1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bent Toes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ken facemire, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ken facemire

ken facemire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Manchester
    one of my 6 1/2 week old Ameracuana chicks have two bent toes that bend in instead of strait. Will it be able to walk when it grows up? Is their a way to fix it or will it be ok it can walk fine but doesn't run all over the place like the other chicks.

2. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    If it's walking ok, that's a good sign. How old?

3. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Oops you said 6 1/2 weeks. I see that now.

4. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    I have a RIR with one toe on her left foot that is doing the same thing, it's like the knuckle is just twisted a bit so instead of flexing downwards, when she clenches her foot, that toe angles down and to the left... right at the joint. I was considering splinting it, but she's walking fine, so I don't know... Subscribed to this topic now [​IMG]

ETA, mine is 4 weeks old today.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  5. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    It would be more comfortable for the chick in the long run to get those toes straightened out. You can use a chicken shoe/splint to help. Here is a picture of one I found (the picture owner indicated that there was no copywrite on the picture):

[​IMG]

The splint is made of bent pipe cleaner. I'm not sure how long to leave the splint on. For very young chicks (days old), 8 hours is sometimes enough. At 6 1/2 weeks it will probably take longer (if it works at all).

Does anyone else have experience using splints on older chicks?

6. ken facemire

ken facemire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Manchester
    Is it to old for the splint for a 6 1/2 week old? I think that I will try the splint But what do i make it Out of?

7. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    pipe cleaner (the kind they use for crafts).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by