Bent Toes

ken facemire

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Manchester
one of my 6 1/2 week old Ameracuana chicks have two bent toes that bend in instead of strait. Will it be able to walk when it grows up? Is their a way to fix it or will it be ok it can walk fine but doesn't run all over the place like the other chicks.

I have a RIR with one toe on her left foot that is doing the same thing, it's like the knuckle is just twisted a bit so instead of flexing downwards, when she clenches her foot, that toe angles down and to the left... right at the joint. I was considering splinting it, but she's walking fine, so I don't know... Subscribed to this topic now
smile.png

ETA, mine is 4 weeks old today.

Last edited:
It would be more comfortable for the chick in the long run to get those toes straightened out. You can use a chicken shoe/splint to help. Here is a picture of one I found (the picture owner indicated that there was no copywrite on the picture):

24603_chickshoedemo.jpg

The splint is made of bent pipe cleaner. I'm not sure how long to leave the splint on. For very young chicks (days old), 8 hours is sometimes enough. At 6 1/2 weeks it will probably take longer (if it works at all).

Does anyone else have experience using splints on older chicks?

Back
Top Bottom