Crooked Toes

JessRenee

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2023
I have a few chicks with crooked toes, this chick in particular having the worst. I’m not sure exactly how old but I’m guessing they’re almost 2 weeks old. Is it too late to try and fix it? What is the best method to try and fix?

Attachments

• C39072F2-33D7-4919-9FFB-6DB936059367.jpeg
    C39072F2-33D7-4919-9FFB-6DB936059367.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 27
  • D6279756-BDFC-4C19-84F3-2269139311B6.jpeg
    D6279756-BDFC-4C19-84F3-2269139311B6.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 7
And not from own flock, I got them from Rural King last Sunday
It may be genetic.. but riboflavin is the needed vitamin IF it was a deficiency in the egg or feed.. or for whatever reason.

Rooster Booster brand Poultry Booster or Poultry Cell are both good products.. I prefer mixing in a little moist feed as it separates in the drinker. I'm not sure if one is better than the other or of it depends on your situation. NO supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

On the other hand.. if I already had a human B complex on hand.. I might just crush some and add to feed. B vitamins in general cannot be overdosed so will not cause harm.

The chicks are too old to benefit from taping the feet in my opinion. And the look won't change even with vitamin treatment now.. but it doesn't currently look too extreme to cause roosting type issues and *probably* won't effect laying ability.

Side note..using supplements with thiamine may (will) reduce efficacy of the medicated portion of feed (amprolium) and should not be given if treatment dose for coccidiosis is indicated.

I'm working on my 2nd CTP ... 2x @EggSighted4Life

I would tape the toes flat, human "paper" tape works good & easy to remove but if you can get someone to help you hold so you can tape, makes life easier. Rooster Booster/Poultry Cell works ... First time around I used PolyVisol without the iron, this time used Poultry Cell. Taping worked great with both, sooner you start the better.

First time was a Serama that was 3wks old ... This time it's a newly hatched Marans (harder to tape cause of the feet feathering). Leave the tape on for about a week, then remove/replace.

I mash up boiled egg yolk mixed with its feed; Serama liked it moist, Maran likes it dry. What ever it takes. I gave it a drop of PC 3x day ... and did physical therapy on both. The Serama I'd let walk around & massage the feet ... The Marans I tried the cup therapy (put the chick in a mug & let it try to climb out, exercise) which works great.

It may be genetic.. but riboflavin is the needed vitamin IF it was a deficiency in the egg or feed.. or for whatever reason.

Rooster Booster brand Poultry Booster or Poultry Cell are both good products.. I prefer mixing in a little moist feed as it separates in the drinker. I'm not sure if one is better than the other or of it depends on your situation. NO supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

On the other hand.. if I already had a human B complex on hand.. I might just crush some and add to feed. B vitamins in general cannot be overdosed so will not cause harm.

The chicks are too old to benefit from taping the feet in my opinion. And the look won't change even with vitamin treatment now.. but it doesn't currently look too extreme to cause roosting type issues and *probably* won't effect laying ability.

Side note..using supplements with thiamine may (will) reduce efficacy of the medicated portion of feed (amprolium) and should not be given if treatment dose for coccidiosis is indicated.
Thank you! I have poultry cell on hand so I will definitely be giving that

I have a chick-5 weeks old with crooked toes. I have read that it's possible to straighten them with vet tape and maybe a straw or toothpick etc to straighten the toes. My husband and I have tried on a couple of occasions to do this, but was not successful. Her toes do not seem to affect her at all. She scratches like the others and gets up on the low perches etc,. just fine. My question is: does anyone on this forum have experience with leaving the toes crooked and if so, was there an issue as the hen got older, larger? I have read that they can live just fine this way, but really wanted an opinion first hand about this issue and what I can expect by leaving her this way.

We have a one year old hen, wonky-toed Wanda, who is one of our larger hens. Her middle toes point outward. We had quite a few chicks hatch last year and I didn't notice the deformity until she was fully grown. It has not affected her life negatively in the least. She forages and roosts just like the rest of my flock and seems to have a solid placement in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom