Bereft…the tears just won’t stop.

Mary,

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate your suggestions. At the moment I have turned the chickens out in the front yard for two reasons: they have an excellent hiding place (under the deck.)

Secondly, I can watch them very closely. And call them if I can’t see all of them.

Puppy, aka Liliane (lily for short.) is now not allowed out of the house when the chickens are free ranging UNLESS she is on her leash. After the chickens are put up, she will be allowed to “free range” too.

Training for puppy is continual… leash should solve the problem.

When I re-dress Pumpkin’s wound, I’ll take a picture. Currently slathering with neosporin.

Thank you very much for your help. I was feeling pretty low…

So sorry for your losses but glad one of your littles came home. Regroup and reorganize.
Blame and self-condemnation will cloud your perspective in recognizing what needs to be done to protect the remainder of your flock.
I agree with the suggestions put forth by @Folly's place
I will add that an electric fence around your free-range area can deter many larger predators. Invest in a strong fence charger so that when a predator touches the wires it will run and never return...this includes your dog. It will not kill dogs, chickens or anything else but it WILL most certainly hurt which is the point. Be willing to accept that or be willing to accept flock losses going forward if you free-range.
Good luck to you and I hope your chicken heals up

So sorry for your losses but glad one of your littles came home. Regroup and reorganize.
Blame and self-condemnation will cloud your perspective in recognizing what needs to be done to protect the remainder of your flock.
I agree with the suggestions put forth by @Folly's place
I will add that an electric fence around your free-range area can deter many larger predators. Invest in a strong fence charger so that when a predator touches the wires it will run and never return...this includes your dog. It will not kill dogs, chickens or anything else but it WILL most certainly hurt which is the point. Be willing to accept that or be willing to accept flock losses going forward if you free-range.
Good luck to you and I hope your chicken heals up

Picture of wounds. Again, slathered with neosporin and redressed.

Thank the Lord I broke my leg and had surgery (two months ago.). Still healing, but I have sterile dressings and gauze. She managed to escape from her hospital bed while I was doing errands, so she is still pretty feisty. Pooped a huge broody poop…

Any suggestions for care are welcome, including scolding.

Attachments

• A7FFEFEC-210B-4A0A-AFA0-FBD87E428E7F.jpeg
    A7FFEFEC-210B-4A0A-AFA0-FBD87E428E7F.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 6

Thank the Lord I broke my leg and had surgery (two months ago.). Still healing, but I have sterile dressings and gauze. She managed to escape from her hospital bed while I was doing errands, so she is still pretty feisty. Pooped a huge broody poop…

If it was me I would just put her out of her misery. I can't stand to see anything suffer.She's lost a considerable amount of flesh & blood & lost all the feathers off her back.Whats her belly and thighs look like?

That doesn't look like a wound caused by a pup sorry.

If it was me I would just put her out of her misery. I can't stand to see anything suffer.She's lost a considerable amount of flesh & blood & lost all the feathers off her back.Whats her belly and thighs look like?
Her belly and thighs are fine. Her back is defeathered thanks to the Roos. Also keep in mind that the picture appears much worse due to shadows.

Back
Top Bottom