Besides Combs How do you tell.........

CoyoteMagic

RIP ?-2014
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
only the shadow knows.....
If your pullet is really a roo-llet? My last batch is a mix of different breeds. My Black Sexies were easy to figure out. Not so hard with my RIR's. The feathered fiends that I have now have all different size & types combs and some do and don't have waddles all ready even at 8 weeks old.

Does anyone have a picture of the spurs on a roo? I'm trying to figure out where I'm suppose to be looking for these to develop. All I think I see on my feathers are toes, lol. But I don't know for sure, never had a roo.

hu.gif

PS. No one has tried crowing yet. But I think Fudge Swirl is a Red Sexlink Roo.

Last edited:
I posted this a few days ago but it didn't get much interest. Here are some basics for telling pullets from roos, according to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program. I got this from their website.

2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

These proved to be true so far with my chicks. Mine are almost 5 and 6 weeks old. Not sure how old your chicks are.

jumpy.gif

Quote:
Did you find at even days old...some of this worked to tell the difference or did you have to wait a week or so????

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom