I used to feed veggies & fruits along with grass clippings and then table scraps cause I've read/know others have, also ferment their feed (Flock Raiser). I put a halt to all the "treats" when I noticed they seem to be loosing weight. I was cautioned about so much "nutritional treats" could throw off the nutritional balance in their feed.

I stopped all table scrap & occasionally gave them some veggie/fruit/grass clippings, continued with the FF. Guess they were getting more "treats" than necessary, they started putting back weight back on and looking better.

As for DE ... It does not kill mites/lice but think it acts as a preventative. I do sprinkle the nest box, them and their CH with it. But they get a dusting of Poultry Dust or Sevin monthly as there's alot of wild birds.

I used to feed veggies & fruits along with grass clippings and then table scraps cause I've read/know others have, also ferment their feed (Flock Raiser). I put a halt to all the "treats" when I noticed they seem to be loosing weight. I was cautioned about so much "nutritional treats" could throw off the nutritional balance in their feed.

I stopped all table scrap & occasionally gave them some veggie/fruit/grass clippings, continued with the FF. Guess they were getting more "treats" than necessary, they started putting back weight back on and looking better.

As for DE ... It does not kill mites/lice but think it acts as a preventative. I do sprinkle the nest box, them and their CH with it. But they get a dusting of Poultry Dust or Sevin monthly as there's alot of wild birds.
They were losing weight because they didn’t eat their feed ? And only ate the table scrap ?

They were losing weight because they didn’t eat their feed ? And only ate the table scrap ?
They were eating their feed and treats ... I was told to worm them which I did but that didn't solve the problem. Assuming the veggies/fruits were offsetting the nutritional balance of the feed. Think they were getting more candy than they needed.

When I started a new set of chickens, I went strictly feed with handful of grass clippings when mowed. Occasionally MW, rarely any lettuce and some fresh fruit now and then. They don't miss the treats ... It was more a guilt thing for me as they were cooped .... We all love to give our animals "treats" I've even cut back with my dogs, they don't miss it and when they get something, it's a treat.

Back
Top Bottom