Drumstick63

Chirping
May 19, 2021
I feed my 3 hens layer feed in a continuous feeder (I guess that’s what you call it 😆) and in the late morning I also give them usually cabbage, apples,broccoli,carrots and whatever else I buy or have around or other veggie and fruit. Is this ok, they expect this everyday (I have had them a few months) now when I come outside ? I will also give them corn scratch, meal worms, and a mix of sunflower seeds and nuts and what is in the bag along with the other veggie and fruit (not everyday though on these)

That is a lot of extras. Fruits and veggies, maybe not so bad, but then also scratch, nuts and mealworms on top of that. For everything extra you feed them, you're changing/diluting the nutritional balance of the feed you're feeding. You may not see effects immediately but birds that eat too much fat can die of fatty livers, a lack of protein can cause feather picking, etc.

Recommendation on here is treats should be no more than 10% of their diet.

Also you'll find DE is a very contentious issue on here. It's used in feed to kill grain mites but beyond that it's rather iffy on effectiveness and potentially harmful as a respiratory irritant.

I give my chickens veggie scraps and trimmings and all the weeds I can pull from my garden and yard.

I also give them roast bones to pick over.

But I avoid giving them starchy things, fatty things, and salty things.

I'm sure they get a fair amount of bugs foraging around through the litter in their big pen.

Too much "treat" food can mess up their nutrition and cause problems.

The standard rule says treats should not comprise more than 10% of their diet - meaning they should get the bulk of their nutrition - 90% - from their balanced feed. This is due to how we've selectively bred them over the last 100 years to lay more eggs, while also weighing more themselves, to be used as 'dual purpose' birds, for eggs or meat. Guidelines, follow as you see fit, but understand that 10% equals about 1-2 tablespoons per chicken, per day. Some think leafy greens should be considered free choice, but most other foods should be in moderation.

I used to feed veggies & fruits along with grass clippings and then table scraps cause I've read/know others have, also ferment their feed (Flock Raiser). I put a halt to all the "treats" when I noticed they seem to be loosing weight. I was cautioned about so much "nutritional treats" could throw off the nutritional balance in their feed.

I stopped all table scrap & occasionally gave them some veggie/fruit/grass clippings, continued with the FF. Guess they were getting more "treats" than necessary, they started putting back weight back on and looking better.

As for DE ... It does not kill mites/lice but think it acts as a preventative. I do sprinkle the nest box, them and their CH with it. But they get a dusting of Poultry Dust or Sevin monthly as there's alot of wild birds.

They were losing weight because they didn’t eat their feed ? And only ate the table scrap ?
They were eating their feed and treats ... I was told to worm them which I did but that didn't solve the problem. Assuming the veggies/fruits were offsetting the nutritional balance of the feed. Think they were getting more candy than they needed.

When I started a new set of chickens, I went strictly feed with handful of grass clippings when mowed. Occasionally MW, rarely any lettuce and some fresh fruit now and then. They don't miss the treats ... It was more a guilt thing for me as they were cooped .... We all love to give our animals "treats" I've even cut back with my dogs, they don't miss it and when they get something, it's a treat.

you are doing well feeding them all those goodies. You can add minced garlic and chopped oregano to help keep worms away and healthier hens naturally. I use both and add the minced garlic to the waterer , The part they can dip their beaks into safely. I do this on a monthly basis. I works great for me, also try DE Food grade only - Diatamatous Earth is great fro your hens coops, it will kill mites and lice and other exoskeletons, its also healthy for humans to ingest for joint pain and inflammation. Just a tip!! Do not get pool type, this will harm your birds and other pets, FOOD GRADE DE may be purchased at a feed store or TSC. Its great stuff and a very low cost to keep all hens healthy.

you are doing well feeding them all those goodies. You can add minced garlic and chopped oregano to help keep worms away and healthier hens naturally. I use both and add the minced garlic to the waterer , The part they can dip their beaks into safely. I do this on a monthly basis. I works great for me, also try DE Food grade only - Diatamatous Earth is great fro your hens coops, it will kill mites and lice and other exoskeletons, its also healthy for humans to ingest for joint pain and inflammation. Just a tip!! Do not get pool type, this will harm your birds and other pets, FOOD GRADE DE may be purchased at a feed store or TSC. Its great stuff and a very low cost to keep all hens healthy.
Minced garlic I didn’t know about ! I do use DE in the nesting bed and in their dust bath, didn’t know we could ingest it 😳 I felt like I was giving them to much to eat honestly, slightly spoiled now 😜

Back
Top Bottom