Bessemer Thread Revisited - No Flaming :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
70%cocoa :

Quote:
Are Buffs Bl/Bl in North America? They are Bl/bl here. I take back what I said about you getting brown headed ones then (bl/bl).
smile.png

Yeah. The Buffs you know in Oz and the UK are what we North americans call Cinnamon (or fittingly English Buff). And our blonde is {M+/M+; d/d; bu/bu; Bl/Bl; S/S} !​

Last edited:
Yes
smile.png

Personally I think that if you are going to go down the road of having these birds established and recognised as a breed then calling them Bessemers is preferable to calling them Jumbo Orpingtons. There are plenty of breeds that share exactly the same colour and pattern as other breeds (e.g. Trout Runner and Rouen Clair or Butterscotch Call and Saxony) but are recognised as different on the basis of type. Just because your birds share the same colour and pattern as Buffs doesn't mean they need to be associated with Buffs. Type makes the breed. Bessemer is a much nicer name than Jumbo Orpington too, IMO.

Yeah change the name back to Bessemer! If you can breed even a 12lb buff colored duck then I want a Bessie too
lol.png

Maybe my brother-in-law will smuggle one across the border for me
wink.png

Bessemer is a great name for a breed!

I'm sure it's different enough to be considered it's own type if you can get the birds to breed and hatch true to type.

My comment about the saxonies is one in marketing. Sure, duck fanciers on this board will generally know different breed by looking-- but the long term success of a breed is in it's appeal; why they should order bessies from you rather than saxonies or pekins or other very large breed ducks. To me, it's apparent- they look gorgeous, but any nifty little attributes that show up will really make them attractive to the farm set.

This is what is required to get a need breed accepted into the SOP:

What if a bird is not in the Standard?

"There are many breeds, varieties or hybrids that are not recognized in the APA or ABA standards. (If they are not of a recognized breed, they may be placed but can not win champion if they are entered into a show.) If the standard of perfection for the breed has not been officially determined, there are no standards by which a bird can be judged. To be admitted into the APA standard, a breed must have several supporters that have been working with it for at least 5 years and are able to have a minimum of 50 birds exhibited at a show. If all of these conditions are met, a breed or variety may be admitted to the standard and written up in the Standard of Perfection. It will be eligible to compete in shows from that point forward."

Quote:
That's the paragraph from Holderread's book, isn't it?
smile.png
I recognise it.

I'm not too concerned about getting it into the SOP right now, I might think about in a couple of generations. The male and female I'll be breeding together have a close body shape, so they should produce some with 'good type' (as if there is such a thing at this point!). But first, I have to find out what 'good type' is for them. As you know, the types of different chicken breeds have huge effect on their utility performance, which is why one breed has SQ birds who are horrible, and another has SQ birds who are egg machines. I want to find out in ducks what the TYPE=UTILITY is. I imagine that will be the body type if and when I right up a proposed standard.

Banny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom