Bessemer Thread Revisited - No Flaming :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could there be a different name for them? For instance, Saxony ducks are not called Saxony in Germany. I can't remember what the German name is, and I can't find my message from The Duck ABC's. She is from Germany, and is the one who gave me the German name. Our German exchange students had no idea what a Saxony duck was until I called them by their German name. I don't know, just a thought. Regardless, they are beautiful.

Quote:
Well, not accurately. You see, since there is no info about this breed, and it's colored like a BO, well, some (those who obviously don't raise BOs for comparison!) will be prone to call it that, but, the breed is rare enough that I don't think any of you will have to worry about that. BTW, I sent photos to Barry Koffler last night, but haven't heard back from him yet. His main stipulation for recognition is that the breed breeds true to type, and color if possible, and that it is noticably different from an existing breed. This matches all that criteria, so he'll probably let it in.
Assuming Feathersite takes the breed, I'm going to try and Census the breed. I'm going to do the same with my precious Bow Lake fowl. I won't have an opportunity to get more BLF until next fall, (and subsequently feathersite shant recognise it yet) but I'd like to know who else is raising that breed.

Quote:
Well, not accurately. You see, since there is no info about this breed, and it's colored like a BO, well, some (those who obviously don't raise BOs for comparison!) will be prone to call it that, but, the breed is rare enough that I don't think any of you will have to worry about that. BTW, I sent photos to Barry Koffler last night, but haven't heard back from him yet. His main stipulation for recognition is that the breed breeds true to type, and color if possible, and that it is noticably different from an existing breed. This matches all that criteria, so he'll probably let it in.
Assuming Feathersite takes the breed, I'm going to try and Census the breed. I'm going to do the same with my precious Bow Lake fowl. I won't have an opportunity to get more BLF until next fall, (and subsequently feathersite shant recognise it yet) but I'd like to know who else is raising that breed.

thumbsup.gif
It's wonderful to hear of someone working very hard to preserve a breed.

Quote:

It's wonderful to hear of someone working very hard to preserve a breed.

Thanks! But what's strange, is that it isn't any harder than preserving a common breed. And it gives you the reward of knowing you are a key thing standing inbetween the breed an extinction. Actually, I'm not to concerned about the future of this breed, because, personally, I think it will catch on rather quickly, as colored meat birds are in good demand. I am worried about the future of the BLF, as, around here, bantams are not held in higgh value, unless they are of good APA standard conformation. Utility bantams are seemingly unheard of, and it may take effort to save the BL yet...

Have you actually produced any ducklings from your "new breed"? I ask this because I have seen meat ducks that looked a lot like yours, BUT they were Muscovy drakes on other large Colored meat ducks and since they were sterile they weren't a breed at all.
The Mulard cross muscovy on Pekin is well known and does not look like your birds. However the strange muscovy feathering does appear in them and your birds appear to have that same feathering. I have not seen a Jumbo Pekin in person but I beleive you are mistaken to claim that they are the largest ducks Some super heavyweight Muscovy drakes are huge. For my money I would rather eat a muscovy rather than a Mallard derived bird, less fat and better taste.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree completely about Scoby meat. But I'm not gonna tell many people that
wink.png
. These are pure mallards, I know this because they act, sound, look, and, er, smell, like all other mallards and different from Scobies. BTW, when I was talking about largest duck breed, I meant mallards only. I know muscovies dwarf all the mallards. I should have been more concise
wink.png

Last edited:
More Bessy photos (standing ovation)

A Drake -
MollysFirstSnowBannyHens114.jpg

A Duck -
MollysFirstSnowBannyHens048.jpg

Sorry about the scraggely-ness. I'll try to get some pictures of them when they are dry. (and, of course, it's raining today!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom