Bessemer Thread Revisited - No Flaming :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Hmm. Wonder why I didn't think of that? Sounds good. Thanks.
smile.png

Well... if you're starting this breed from a foundation of 3 birds, I suppose you'll have to follow the example of other people who have started new breeds. First put great effort into finding more specimines like yours to add to your breeding pool. (Posting on BYC was a perfect start.) then you would want to look in the same areas these guys came from-- posters in feed stores, classified adds in ag rags, regional newspapers, etc. and then you need to decide on pure blood from OTHER breeds that will crossbreed into parents of your desired offsping. Cull for "type" traits, then breed your pool of mixed breed birds for enough generations that it becomes it's own true strain. If you truly have to establish your own breed, it may take decades, but I envy you that experience.

If you want them to be truly a breed apart from orpingtons, They need to offer something unique that an average orpington does not. Remember, Khaki campbells started out as nothing more than runner/rouen hybrids. If the eventual origin of the breed is as simple as "I found some unusually large buff orpingtons that produced superior table birds with beautiful buff coloring" then so be it.

~study the genetics of how buff coloring breeds. Also study genetics of "markings" like white rings, bibs, splashes, and the "dusky" gene so you know how to breed for the coloring you want.
~study the other buff breeds. As a duck fancier choosing hatchlings to order, it's really important that the customer know how your "bessemers" are different from other buff breeds the customer might consider (especially saxonies.) For your breed to appeal and catch on, it HAS to fill a niche nothing else does. Perhaps the meat has a different flavor (gamey vs. mild) Perhaps the drakes have different markings, or the birds have "lacy" feathering, perhaps they are better at foraging, good layers of gigantic eggs, what ever it is that sets them apart, you need to breed for that trait to create something unique. You need to sell more than just a name.

Last edited:
[[[.......How much do these new ducks weigh? Not a guess. Put them on the scales.....]]]]]

If you look more closely, I did not ask how much a Jumbo Pekin weighs. I asked how much your Bessemers weigh.

You claim they are twice the weight of a Buff duck and 2 1/2 times the size. A buff drake should weigh 8 pounds. That means your Bessemer drakes weigh 16 pounds. That is the size of many breeds of geese. That's larger than several breeds of geese.

Yes, indeed, a 16 pound duck would definitely be something. It's very possible that you've collected up a landrace breed of duck. If that is the case, they are well worth saving.

You will still have to show that they breed true before you can lay claim that they are a breed. But if they are 16 pounds, it would be well worth saving them and I think you will find alot of interest after you show that they breed true..

duck foie gras works wonders
They were 12-13 pounds yesterday, and not they are 16 pounds.

Last edited:
The Duck ABC's :

duck foie gras works wonders
They were 12-13 pounds yesterday, and not they are 16 pounds.

I didn't know my 6 lb. Orpi hen was 8 lbs. I never directly said 16 lbs. and certainly didn't mean it. Like I said, haven't yet weighed my birds. Any weights on here, are estimates, and god comparisons. Not exacts. I didn't know BOs were supposed to weigh 8 lbs. (they certanly don't feel 8 lbs.), but if that's the case, Bessies would weigh 1.6 times as much. Or something like that. I would wate until I weigh them.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom