Bessemer Thread Revisited - No Flaming :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're suggesting they'd rather have layer type than roasting type
wink.png

Quote:
That's the paragraph from Holderread's book, isn't it?
smile.png
I recognise it.

I'm not too concerned about getting it into the SOP right now, I might think about in a couple of generations. The male and female I'll be breeding together have a close body shape, so they should produce some with 'good type' (as if there is such a thing at this point!). But first, I have to find out what 'good type' is for them. As you know, the types of different chicken breeds have huge effect on their utility performance, which is why one breed has SQ birds who are horrible, and another has SQ birds who are egg machines. I want to find out in ducks what the TYPE=UTILITY is. I imagine that will be the body type if and when I right up a proposed standard.

Banny

Have no clue, just know it's not my words, that's the reason it's in quotes.
Simply pointing out what it takes to "create a breed".

70%cocoa :

Yes, I see the kind of mottled look on the sides and top of the head. Is it like that right after a full moult?

I believe so. They seemed to be finishing the moult when I bought them, in late November. But I just noticed the barring when I was moving them into the barn today (for winter). I think this causes the 'light' 'sheen' ontop of the head.​

Quote:
I believe so. They seemed to be finishing the moult when I bought them, in late November.

Come to think of it, that would explain the 'scraggly' or 'muscovy' look people kept reporting earlier in this tread.

Maybe I missed this post but have you weighed the birds yet? They are very pretty but please post the weights of a drake and hen. My Pekins look heavy but actually are much lighter than I would expect.

Also, knowing the laying rate would be nice too.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom