Best All Around Breed

Quote:
That's him!
big_smile.png

Is that who u got your buckeyes from?
or did you have them before?
im trying to start a very broad breeding program with different lines.

I'll throw in my two cents...

Light Brahmas - lay reasonably well, go broody, and they are BIG girls (the roos are big too, but you'll eventually also eat a hen or two.)

My light brahma girls I had (sold them) were solid and easily weighed a good 9 or 10 pounds each. Large breasts, too, from what I could feel (never butchered one).

also they are very outgoing personality type chickens, and forage well.

meri

Quote:
I obtained my first Buckeyes in '06 from Matt John, who had gotten his birds from John Brown of OH (longtime breeder of Buckeyes.)

In '07 I got some more chicks from Matt, and in '08 some hatching eggs from the ALBC (via Don Schrider.) I would have gotten even more birds from Matt, but he suffered a terrible flood and lost more than 70% of his stock. That was when I decided to devote myself to breeding Buckeyes on my own (rather than buying them from Matt.)

So now my flock is about 1/2 and 1/2 Brown and ALBC lines. I am working to braid the two lines together, as each has its strengths. Next spring I am going to get some birds from Duane Urch, who has been breeding Buckeyes for many years (want both Large Fowl and Bantams.)

Someday I hope to have the Haggarty line.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom